Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup of my Macbook

My Macbook Pro is crashed/dead, how can i restore my files as I cannot start the mac. Is there any solution to get the backup as my mother board is crashed.

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 11:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 8:02 PM

The easy way would be to access the files from a backp.

Since it doesn't appear you have backups, then see if the laptop can be put into Target Disk Mode. The laptop doesn't need to do much in order for this to work.

If you have a laptop with a removable hard drive or SSD, then you can pull the drive out and use an external enclosure to connect it to another Mac.

• If your laptop is a non-Retina model it uses a traditional SATA hard drive or SSD, then most any USB to SATA Adapter, dock, or enclosure will work.
  • If the laptop is a Retina model from 2012-2015, then you must use an OWC Envoy Pro Enclosure since the Apple PCIe SSD uses a proprietary connector.
  • If you have a 2016+ MBPro with Touchbar, then you will need to have an Apple Authorized Service Provider retrieve your data for you since the SSD is integrated into the Logic Board.
  • If you have the non-Touchbar 2016-2017 MBPro, then I am not aware of any compatible external enclosures.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2020 8:02 PM in response to pravakar32

The easy way would be to access the files from a backp.

Since it doesn't appear you have backups, then see if the laptop can be put into Target Disk Mode. The laptop doesn't need to do much in order for this to work.

If you have a laptop with a removable hard drive or SSD, then you can pull the drive out and use an external enclosure to connect it to another Mac.

• If your laptop is a non-Retina model it uses a traditional SATA hard drive or SSD, then most any USB to SATA Adapter, dock, or enclosure will work.
  • If the laptop is a Retina model from 2012-2015, then you must use an OWC Envoy Pro Enclosure since the Apple PCIe SSD uses a proprietary connector.
  • If you have a 2016+ MBPro with Touchbar, then you will need to have an Apple Authorized Service Provider retrieve your data for you since the SSD is integrated into the Logic Board.
  • If you have the non-Touchbar 2016-2017 MBPro, then I am not aware of any compatible external enclosures.

Backup of my Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.