Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no updates available

Hey everyone,

I have an

• iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
  • Sierra 10.12.6
  • 360+GB memory available

I'm not getting updates for the OS in the App Store and am now run into trouble with compatibility with apps. I've already googled but can't find a solution, as far as I understand I should be able to update...?

Thanks!

Anke

iMac 27", macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 12:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 6:29 AM

No need to buy a new Mac yet.

You can upgrade to macOS Catalina (10.15.2) from the Mac App Store, but that also restricts you to 64-bit applications, and 65-bit printer/scanner drivers. You may not be prepared for that.

You can also upgrade to macOS Mojave, which still supports 32-bit applications and drivers (with warning dialogs).

Whatever upgrade you choose, backup your current operating system via Time Machine first, and check applications and drivers for the destination operating system compatibility.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2020 6:29 AM in response to ankepanke

No need to buy a new Mac yet.

You can upgrade to macOS Catalina (10.15.2) from the Mac App Store, but that also restricts you to 64-bit applications, and 65-bit printer/scanner drivers. You may not be prepared for that.

You can also upgrade to macOS Mojave, which still supports 32-bit applications and drivers (with warning dialogs).

Whatever upgrade you choose, backup your current operating system via Time Machine first, and check applications and drivers for the destination operating system compatibility.

Jan 27, 2020 3:40 AM in response to ankepanke

Some applications in the Mac App Store, may now require newer versions of macOS than Sierra, as requirements for application installation. Apple's Pages, Numbers, Keynote, and Microsoft Office 365 applications are examples — where the first three require at least Mojave, and Microsoft, tracking Apple's three-year support window, is now requiring High Sierra installed before one can install MS Office.

There will be no further Security, or browser updates for macOS Sierra as it is now outside of Apple's customary three-year sliding window of macOS support.

no updates available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.