Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Restrictions

I am being pestered by the Amazon Spin Wheel Gift Card scam on my iPad. I want to block it since it seems to freeze my browser. I have seen a YouTube video of how to copy and paste the URL into a 'Never Allow' section in the Restrictions. However, I cannot see Restrictions in my Settings>General. I have seen similar questions in the forum suggesting going through the Screen Time setting, but this does not offer the options I need. Also I have Safari>Block Pop-ups set to 'ON' and Fraudulent Website Warning 'ON' so why do I keep getting these scam messages?

TIA

Chrissy

iPad mini, iOS 12

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 9:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 11:00 AM

They are a malicious ad being served up.

Try this

Force quit safari by double tapping the home button and flicking the preview off the screen. Single tap the home button to exit that mode

Go into the settings and iCloud and if you sync your safari on iCloud turn that off (the ad can reload from the cache)

Also in the settings, go into safari and throw away your browsing history

Then reboot your ipad. If you have the mini, hold down the sleep and home keys for 20 seconds or so. When you see the silver apple, let go and let it reboot.

open safari again and the ad should be gone.

That said, if you visit the site it came from again it will just come back.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2020 11:00 AM in response to Crissy1611

They are a malicious ad being served up.

Try this

Force quit safari by double tapping the home button and flicking the preview off the screen. Single tap the home button to exit that mode

Go into the settings and iCloud and if you sync your safari on iCloud turn that off (the ad can reload from the cache)

Also in the settings, go into safari and throw away your browsing history

Then reboot your ipad. If you have the mini, hold down the sleep and home keys for 20 seconds or so. When you see the silver apple, let go and let it reboot.

open safari again and the ad should be gone.

That said, if you visit the site it came from again it will just come back.

Jan 27, 2020 11:11 AM in response to Crissy1611

A very effective method of blocking this type of content is use an effective Ad/Content blocker with your device. One of the most effective (and highly configurable) options is 1Blocker:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/1blocker/id1365531024

This mitigation very effectively blocks download of unwanted content by feeding blocking-rules to Safari’s WebKit.

An alternative strategy is to manually over-ride the automatic DNS settings on your device - and instead manually select one of the following recursive filtered DNS providers, such as Quad9 or OpenDNS. Both of these DNS providers filter malicious providers; if the malicious content requires a DNS lookup for its delivery, this strategy can block it.

You can change your device DNS settings here:

Settings > WiFi > [Your Network] - touch the “i” icon, then select Configure DNS > Manual and add/replace the existing entries with either of these Recursive DNS providers - both of which are trusted and highly reliable.

Quad9

Primary 9.9.9.9

Secondary 149.112.112.112

OpenDNS

Primary 208.67.222.222

Secondary 208.67.220.220

I hope you find these suggestion helpful in resolving your issue.

Missing Restrictions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.