Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo importing from iPad to MacBook Air

When Photos were imported from iPad to MacBook Air-forgetting to checkmark just the most recent ones-the number of photos in MacBook Air became much higher than intended. Yet visual inspection did not reveal any obvious duplicates. Unsure where the duplicates went, Help instructions for deleting photos from the Imports smart album were followed. However, since the duplicates could not be identified, this transferred all of them into Recently Deleted, leaving none whatsoever in Photos. It is understood they can continue to be manipulated from this position but is there a way to find and separate out what appear to be hidden duplicates for permanent deletion?

Posted on Jan 28, 2020 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 10:57 PM

That message cycle of composing, gathering, analyzing, detecting, curating is somewhat misleading. All Photos 5.0 does when it finds "duplicates" in that scan is try to avoid showing multiple nearly identical photos in the condensed "Days" view.

I'm still not clear why you were having trouble seeing the real duplicates caused my importing the same photos repeatedly. They should have been readily visible in the "All Photos" view; they should be side by side in that view, which is sorted by date taken.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2020 10:57 PM in response to parchmentier

That message cycle of composing, gathering, analyzing, detecting, curating is somewhat misleading. All Photos 5.0 does when it finds "duplicates" in that scan is try to avoid showing multiple nearly identical photos in the condensed "Days" view.

I'm still not clear why you were having trouble seeing the real duplicates caused my importing the same photos repeatedly. They should have been readily visible in the "All Photos" view; they should be side by side in that view, which is sorted by date taken.

Jan 29, 2020 1:52 PM in response to parchmentier

Moderators: This question can be deleted as there seems no answer. I am stepping through 3800 Photos one by one to manually identify and delete duplicates .Its strange this is necessary because when Restoring them from Recently Deleted, the progress bar kept cycling through these steps:

Composing Layout/Gathering Favorites/Analyzing Scenes/Detecting Duplicates/Curating Best Photos

...yet neither put the duplicates somewhere easy to access nor offered the option of deleting them. This manual process will probably take a couple months but I will get it done eventually! Thanks for your help.

Photo importing from iPad to MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.