Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air won’t reinstall MacOS

my MacBook Air was factory reseted and no data was backed up to time machine, and now when I try to reinstall MacOs it won’t let me saying something went wrong, ive tried to delete Macintosh Hd but it won’t let me saying an error has occurred, so now my MacBook just flashes a little file with a question mark on it all the time

Posted on Jan 28, 2020 3:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2020 7:08 PM

Boot into Recovery Mode (Command + R) or into Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) and launch Disk Utility. Within Disk Utility click on "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears in the left pane of Disk Utility. Select the physical drive and erase it as:

for High Sierra to Catalina: GUID partition and APFS (top option)

for Sierra or earlier: GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled)

NOTE: This procedure will remove all data from the SSD.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2020 7:08 PM in response to Merino_Sz

Boot into Recovery Mode (Command + R) or into Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) and launch Disk Utility. Within Disk Utility click on "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears in the left pane of Disk Utility. Select the physical drive and erase it as:

for High Sierra to Catalina: GUID partition and APFS (top option)

for Sierra or earlier: GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled)

NOTE: This procedure will remove all data from the SSD.

Jan 29, 2020 6:14 PM in response to Merino_Sz

The "View" option is only in the more recent versions of Disk Utility. I forget when it started, but it might only be in macOS 10.13+. If it is present you would see a drop down list just above the left pane of Disk Utility or it would appear on the actual View menu.

Just make sure to select the physical drive to erase which will appear something like "Apple SSD SM128..." in the left pane of Disk Utility (it should be the top most option in the left pane).

If you don't see the physical drive, then within Recovery Mode or the macOS USB installer launch the Terminal app from the Utilities menu and run the following command to see if your SSD shows up:

diskutil  list

Usually the internal physical drive will be "disk0" or "disk1".

MacBook Air won’t reinstall MacOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.