Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What Size/Resolution External Monitor to Use with MacBook to Avoid Tiny Fonts?

I got a 27" 4k monitor to use with my 16" Retina Display MacBook. Fonts in the Finder and in most apps are tiny. In many cases they can be set to larger font sizes in the app or Finder settings -- but not in all cases. E.g. the fonts in the Finder menu bar, and sidebars in Finder windows, look like about 6-7pt.

I guess I have to return this monitor and get a new one. I'd love to get a retina display but my company won't pay for it :)

The questions is -- what size/resolution monitor (up to 4k) will give me a good experience as an external monitor on a MacBook, with reasonable Finder font sizes?

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 10:45 AM

Using the DisplayPort on the monitor instead of the HDMI port fixed it! Using that port, I got these options in system preferences:

Similar questions

8 replies

Jan 29, 2020 2:31 PM in response to dwb

Thanks for the reply, @dwb. On my system, the next rez down is 1280 x 720. This makes everything huge and appears to reduce the screen real estate by about two-thirds. I don't understand it because my previous computer is an iMac. It also has a 27" screen and everything on it looks perfect. What's the resolution your computer is running at (e.g. I have 1280 x 720) ?

Jan 29, 2020 10:31 AM in response to Vik Rubenfeld

Before you return this display launch System Preferences and select Displays. A dialog box will open on the display and another on your computer. In the dialog on the external display you'll see a checkmark labeled scaled. Click on that checkmark and you'll see several options that are good for your display. I'm sitting at my work computer (one display) so I'm working from memory. I think the options will be listed in terms of font size but it might be resolutions. Click on the various options to see if you find one that works for you.

My 28" 4K display at its default resolution has uncomfortably small fonts but the next rez down is perfect.

Jan 29, 2020 8:01 PM in response to dwb

I went to the local Apple Store Genius bar, and was told that the anomaly may be because I'm plugging into an HDMI port on the monitor. Ideally it should be a USB-C port. My monitor doesn't have a USB-C input port, but it has a DisplayPort, so the advice was to try plugging into that. I ordered a USB-C to DisplayPort cable and I'll try that tomorrow when the cable arrives.

What kind of port are you plugging into on the monitor?

Jan 29, 2020 8:49 PM in response to Vik Rubenfeld

Make sure you have turned OFF Mirror displays in one of those panes, so that the external display and built-in display can be uncoupled.

Try holding the Option key while you click on the Scaled or resolutions box to see if any more are available.

You said you have been fiddling making fonts larger. Did you undo those changes, now that all are larger? or have they now added together?

Jan 29, 2020 8:58 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I turned off mirror displays, but it had no effect on this anomaly.

I just tried holding down the Option key while clicking Scaled or the resolutions box, but no additional options appeared.

I didn't stay with the larger resolution -- I went back to the default. The larger resolution was huge and gave up around 75% of the screen real estate. :)

Jan 30, 2020 4:04 AM in response to Vik Rubenfeld

I mostly use my LG display with a 2018 Mac mini and I've used both DisplayPort and HDMI - I get the same resolutions using either set of ports. I originally used an HDMI cable because it came with my display but late beta of Catalina had sync problems with HDMI so I switched to DisplayPort for a while. Presently my mini is connected with HDMI and I sometimes connect my MBAir to it via displayPort. I get the same resolution options on the Air as I do the mini.

What Size/Resolution External Monitor to Use with MacBook to Avoid Tiny Fonts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.