Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive space

How do I delete the data volume on my newly installed internal 480GB SSD hard drive to free up much needed space for digital imaging? All I put on my new drive was Catalina OS and Adobe Photoshop 2020 and I only have about 5GB space left.

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 2:09 PM

Hi arthurfrounds,

With MacOS Catalina, the drives are split into two, one is called Macintosh HD - Data which your data resides on. You are unable to delete it.

The second volume is the operating system which is on a read-only volume called Macintosh HD.

You can read more about it, about the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina.

If you go to the Apple Menu > About this Mac and click storage, what does it say for storage? 5GB is not a lot and you should try to free up space by storing files you are not using on an external drive.

I hope this helps.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2020 2:09 PM in response to arthurfrounds

Hi arthurfrounds,

With MacOS Catalina, the drives are split into two, one is called Macintosh HD - Data which your data resides on. You are unable to delete it.

The second volume is the operating system which is on a read-only volume called Macintosh HD.

You can read more about it, about the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina.

If you go to the Apple Menu > About this Mac and click storage, what does it say for storage? 5GB is not a lot and you should try to free up space by storing files you are not using on an external drive.

I hope this helps.

Hard drive space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.