Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How 'select &/or Highlite Text' using keyboard?

How can I mark off an area of text.
I know how to do it using my cursor to highlite then dragging it to the end of my selection.
But often the text I want is very long and I grow weary of holding down and dragging the cursor for several minutes.
How can I do it using the key board to mark the beginning and end of the desired text?
I know I should be able to use my cursor to mark the beginning, and then to mark the end, but I do not know what keys to hold down whilest doing so.
I used to know how to do this on my old old apple Mac years ago. But not anymore.
Surely a helpful genius is required to solve this problem,
and will rightfully earn the coveted appelation of
'The Solver'.
Thhanks

Macmini2, Dual Cores, 1 Processor; Bus Speed: 667 MHz ; 2GB Mem; L2 Cache:4 MB;

Posted on Jul 18, 2010 7:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2010 7:34 AM

Click on the begining of the text, then scroll down to the end of the text, press shift and click at the end. Alternatively, once you are at the beginging of the text, with cursor blinking there, hold the shift key then down arrow till the end of the text.
5 replies

Jul 18, 2010 9:49 AM in response to thelnukus

Dear Helpers Meherally & Barney-15E,
Thank you both for your prompt replies.
Now I am left with the unenviable task of trying to decide between the both of you for the ultimate reward. I feel so bad about this.
I knew this would happen.
You both were wonderful and we appreciate it, and you both have earned it.
In a perfect world I would be able to name you both 'The Solver'.
But alas, I can't.
I picture you both, standing there together, in 'the cloud', nervously awaiting the decision, much like two final contestants on 'American Idol'.
I don't know what to do. It's so unfair.
Perhaps I shall flip a coin. That's not right either.
Perhaps this. Meherally should be encouraged because he has far fewer posts than the famous veteran Barney. But here's the proof: Meherally WAS first, if only by minutes. But first over the finish line always wins, doesn't it. And Meherally should not be discouraged nor penalized because I stepped out for a while. I thought it would take days, not minutes, to come up with the solution.

Barney-15E did add some valuable information, but the problem had been essentially solved. I hope Barney-15E will some day forgive me, and I do do hope no others will hold his relative tardiness against him. These things happen. You can't win them all.
That's it.
Meherally has rightly earned the covetted title of "SOLVER"
& is entitled to all the rights and privileges accorded therein.
Meherally, step forward to receive your award. Congratulations.

Jul 18, 2010 9:55 PM in response to thelnukus

Lol, that made some good reading. My wife too read it and she was like ROTFL.

What I have is the greatest respect for Barney and many others here who have given good guidance to me as well as others over the years. It is because of their helpful attitude and the fact that these forums are so well disciplined that only lately I thought I ought to share what little I know, and help others from my experience.

And in the process help people like Barney to provide at least a first line or basic guidance. They always amplify or add if I am miss something. I like to believe I somehow lighten their load in some small way, so they have time to help others with more complex problems.

Encouragement is always welcome.

How 'select &/or Highlite Text' using keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.