Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina keeps crashing after install of 10.15.3 - happens after "wake"

I have a 2017 MBP that been running Mojave successfully for around 9 months and decided to upgrade to Catalina 10.15.3 yesterday.

Install went OK, started up OK, but if the machine is left to go to sleep, it crashes upon restart (four times now). It seems to be that if I let it go to sleep then about 20 seconds after it restarts (via fingerprint log-in) it crashes.

The headlines are:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff80110288b7): "PRT4::setPowerState(0xffffff8050eae800 : 0xffffff7f945d1626, 0 -> 2) timed out after 30280 ms"@/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-6153.81.5/iokit/Kernel/IOServicePM.cpp:5302

It seems to be fairly reproducible.

I am using a 2017 MBP 15" and the only thing connected externally is a LaCie 2Big16 Raid drive connected via a Thunderbolt 3 connection. Other than a Wacom Intuos Pro tablet (I updated the driver this afternoon but it made no difference!).

This is after the very latest, supposedly stable release of Catalina 10.15.3 yesterday!

Any ideas where to look for a solution?

Posted on Jan 30, 2020 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 7:37 AM

Dear all,

many thanks for your various comments and suggestions. It seems that for me 10.15.3 was a disaster from end to end, as far as my LaCie 2Big 16 was concerned.

I got it to work after a fashion by changing the connector from the MBP away from the TB3 connector on the LaCie 2Big to the USB-C 3.1 (same cable, same drive, "other" input connection). I upgraded the drive's firmware to the latest version as that was available but this made no difference to my problem.I continued to have terrible waking problems if the drive was connected (shutting the system down completely even though it was supposed to have just gone to sleep) making me sign in when I had specifically disabled that function etc etc.

Along comes 10.15.4, which I installed a few days ago and all is sweetness and light!!!

Without doing anything to the drive or the cable or anything else, my MBP does exactly what it is told to do, sleeps and wakes exactly as it is supposed to and never crashes!

I have now changed the connection on the LaCie 2Big 16 back to TB3 and it all still works like a dream.

What is most frustrating, especially given how long Catalina has been out, is that none of my symptoms are documented, even given the consistent crashed that I reported to Apple, neither is that fact that Apple have done something significant to the sleep/wake part of the OS with 10.15.4 and fixed a ton of problems.

I am however, very thankful they have and now I feel I have my performing MBP back again, for the first time in nearly two months.

Roger

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2020 7:37 AM in response to MarcrestProductions

Dear all,

many thanks for your various comments and suggestions. It seems that for me 10.15.3 was a disaster from end to end, as far as my LaCie 2Big 16 was concerned.

I got it to work after a fashion by changing the connector from the MBP away from the TB3 connector on the LaCie 2Big to the USB-C 3.1 (same cable, same drive, "other" input connection). I upgraded the drive's firmware to the latest version as that was available but this made no difference to my problem.I continued to have terrible waking problems if the drive was connected (shutting the system down completely even though it was supposed to have just gone to sleep) making me sign in when I had specifically disabled that function etc etc.

Along comes 10.15.4, which I installed a few days ago and all is sweetness and light!!!

Without doing anything to the drive or the cable or anything else, my MBP does exactly what it is told to do, sleeps and wakes exactly as it is supposed to and never crashes!

I have now changed the connection on the LaCie 2Big 16 back to TB3 and it all still works like a dream.

What is most frustrating, especially given how long Catalina has been out, is that none of my symptoms are documented, even given the consistent crashed that I reported to Apple, neither is that fact that Apple have done something significant to the sleep/wake part of the OS with 10.15.4 and fixed a ton of problems.

I am however, very thankful they have and now I feel I have my performing MBP back again, for the first time in nearly two months.

Roger

Feb 2, 2020 11:25 AM in response to Roger100c

Hi Roger100c, 

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. 

I see that you’re having an issue with your 2017 MacBook Pro crashing when your MacBook goes to sleep. I want to help. This article has the steps to take If your Mac doesn't sleep or wake when expected - Apple Support

You can particularly follow the steps under the “If the previous steps don’t work” section. These steps include resetting the SMC, Resetting the NVRAM, disconnecting external devices, testing in Safe mode and isolating by using another user account. If you still see experience this issue after following those steps, you can reach out to Apple Support directly using the link provided in the very last step. 

Best Wishes!

Feb 6, 2020 11:45 AM in response to jeremy_v

I'm having the same issue on a Mac Pro 6,1 model. I updated to Catalina a few days ago doing a wipe of my drive and fresh install. It doesn't occur immediately after wake for me. I can be working on a variety of things and suddenly it just reboots randomly. This last time (10 minutes ago), it did wake up and then decided to reboot within a minute or two after reboot.

Feb 6, 2020 11:58 AM in response to JLJ225

I don't think JLJ225 has the same problem as me (although anything is possible!)

I have narrowed my crash down to a single Raid disk drive (LaCie 2BigT3), amongst several other spinning drives connected. The drive has worked faultlessly for over a year connected to Mojave and now, after updating to Catalina I can guarantee that the MBP will crash every time the drive is connected and the system wakes up.

I have updated the drive's firmware and now Catalina is saying that the cable isn't Thunderbolt compatible (yet it works perfectly with a Samsung T5 ssd on the same system!).

If I connect the cable to the LaCie 2BigT using the USBC 3.1 connector on the drive (same physical connector) but leave the other end of the cable connected to the same Thunderbolt port on the MBP, I NEVER get a crash and have been running like that for the past five days without problems.

So for me the problem is specifically to do with power management over the cable (the crash was always identical) but I can't spend any more time debugging Catalina at the moment. I have sent my five crashes off to apple and I will await their conclusions.

Feb 6, 2020 12:44 PM in response to JLJ225

I'm saying that if LaCie have come out with a specific Firmware update for your disk to help run under Catalina, then trying it can do no harm - My system now works but only after I tried it through the USB 3.1 connector on the disk drive (as an alternative to the two Thunderbolt connectors).

So in answer to your question,. I don't think it has cured it but I have got round the problem and at least I am now on the latest version of everything so no support person can tell me to upgrade this or that - I've done it!

Feb 16, 2020 11:19 PM in response to Roger100c

Do you have the Dropbox app or Intel HAXM (usually installed along Android Studio) on your computer?

I'm also having this issue about 10.15.3 crashing after wake. These are the only two non-Apple kernel extensions that I have.

I noticed I was using Intel HAXM 7.5.1 instead of the latest version 7.5.6 (Android Studio says everything is up to date; you must download the latest HAXM from Intel's GitHub page).

I just updated HAXM to the latest version, let's see what happens.

Mar 31, 2020 7:22 AM in response to Roger100c

I find this post interesting as well, as I have a LaCie 2bigT, 16TB, external drive, connected with a USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) cable and am using Catalina on a brand new iMac (Dec, 2019). However, I have an older G-Tech 1TB daisy-chained to it, through 2 adapters. One steps down from USB-C to USB-2 and another from USB-2 to the original thunderbolt connector, then to the drive itself. I can understand how ALL THAT might be causing the problem. But does anyone have a solution???

Catalina keeps crashing after install of 10.15.3 - happens after "wake"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.