Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery drain after updating to iOS 13.3.1

Hello, I updated my iPhone XS Max to iOS 13.3.1 from iOS 13.1.1 my battery life went upside down my average SOT is now 4 hours and 30 minute it was around 7 hour + before I updated it is anyone else facing the same issue?

iPhone XS Max, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 30, 2020 10:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2020 12:53 PM

I still have not had any luck with settings' modifications. My 6s still dies out of nowhere, even though there is still supposedly a charge remaining on the device. I contacted Apple Support (or lack thereof) and after the mobile diagnostics checked out and all hardware components passed, the rep stated, "This is a really wired situation." Not exactly helpful in the slightest bit.

Here's everything I've tried:

• Hard/Soft reset
    • Reinstall iOS from backup and from scratch
    • Reset Network settings (This did fix Bluetooth not detecting wireless headphones)
    • Turned off Bluetooth, Push settings, background apps, and location services
    • Disabled 'Optimized Battery Charging'
    • Enabled 'Low Power Mode' 24/7

None of this helped...

[Edited by Moderator]

139 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2020 12:53 PM in response to impulse_telecom

I still have not had any luck with settings' modifications. My 6s still dies out of nowhere, even though there is still supposedly a charge remaining on the device. I contacted Apple Support (or lack thereof) and after the mobile diagnostics checked out and all hardware components passed, the rep stated, "This is a really wired situation." Not exactly helpful in the slightest bit.

Here's everything I've tried:

• Hard/Soft reset
    • Reinstall iOS from backup and from scratch
    • Reset Network settings (This did fix Bluetooth not detecting wireless headphones)
    • Turned off Bluetooth, Push settings, background apps, and location services
    • Disabled 'Optimized Battery Charging'
    • Enabled 'Low Power Mode' 24/7

None of this helped...

[Edited by Moderator]

Mar 9, 2020 4:52 PM in response to SammySevens

It's a bummer to hear so many are having negative experiences with the update.. My iPhone 11 has been just fine. I push my updates as soon as they're released. I took this screenshot at 7:47pm of my battery life after a day at the zoo with the family. Family days are pretty social media heavy (just posting IG stories) but battery still hasn't drained much.

Mar 23, 2020 4:36 AM in response to huzef

After updating my battery usage increased 50% while phone activity remained constant. I took a screenshot that clearly shows this:

Just now my phone suddenly rebooted on a 52% charge, showing 3% remaining battery after the reboot. That's 2 hours after being charged to 82%. When I plug it in, it goes back to 52% in 15 minutes.

While a lot of people will claim it's a battery issue, I know it's not. Because I had the exact same problem after updating to 13.1.2 and my battery was only a few months old back then (replaced by Apple). After updating to 13.1.3 everything went back to normal. I'm hoping for a similar fix soon.

Oh, and I don't use background app refresh or location services and cleared out my app memory after updating. This is a software issue, not a customer issue.

Jan 31, 2020 9:20 AM in response to huzef

Any operating system has to recognize and catalog all the hardware resources it can use, which even in the iPhone's closed world can vary from all the gamut of supported models. Has to be redone every system upgrade, explains why if you have an XX sized device, usable space is always less since this info has to be kept somewhere.

If the device is close to full, the system will have to do major juggling to get this done. Which takes more time and requires more work, which translates on a mobile system to less battery runtime.

Feb 9, 2020 9:04 PM in response to huzef

The battery in my iPhone 6S will suddenly drop 15% to 20% in just a couple of minutes doing nothing more than navigating in the Settings app. The problem seems worse when the iPhone radio on and connected to a 4G network, (in my case, a CDMA network), even if the phone is on Wi-Fi for data transmission. According to Settings/Battery, my battery health is 95%, This battery draining started after my recent update to 13.3.1. I am going to try to downgrade back to 13.3. This battery drain is intolerable.

Feb 11, 2020 7:05 AM in response to Spenny1981

Spenny1981 wrote:

Hi I had the same issue I did an online chat with Apple they ran diagnostics test, said need to inspect/ replace battery but my battery health is 82% I think the update is messing about with battery drain, even when my phone locked battery still drops, only done this sine I updated software

Your battery is old and, as Apple told you, needs to be replaced.

Feb 11, 2020 7:06 AM in response to Balcanica

Balcanica wrote:

Hey, hi! Currently it’s at 81%, which is quite ok, actually was more than ok before this latest update. I hope that Apple will provide us with a solution (Another update) as soon as possible, and not just having a claim that it’s a battery issue.

A battery health of 81% is not "quite ok", it's borderline unusable. Apple doesn't consider the batteries fit for use below 80%. Make arrangements to have Apple do a diagnostic. Their tests are more accurate and will probably tell you that your battery needs to be replaced.

Feb 11, 2020 7:39 AM in response to Spenny1981

Two factors seem to be affecting battery depletion: use of the mobile phone radio, but only sometimes; engaging with an application in a way that requires scrolling.

Yesterday I tried an experiment: I started with the phone charged to 100%. I opened the Chrome web browser and Lirum Device Info Lite. I visited the Techbargains web site, which is one of those endless scrolling type web sites, and started scrolling. Within one minute, then battery level was 84%. Jumping to Lirum Device Info showed the CPU use was unremarkable, not more than about 25%. Next, I closed the browser app and opened a solitaire game and used the game for about half an hour, which involved a lot of screen tapping and dragging card bit maps around on the screen, screen on all the time at 50% brightness. At the end, the battery was at 79%, which is about what is expected. Scrolling in the Apple Settings app also makes the battery drop quickly. I alternated between Settings and Chrome until the battery was at 11%. Next, I started the YouTube application and let it run until the iPhone 6S shut off. YouTube ran for over an hour. All the testing was done while connected to Wi-Fi and not using 4G data.

i am starting to suspect there is a combination of the battery health being over optimistically estimated and some change that occurred with the way the GPU is handled, especially when it is manipulating memory to scroll the screen. It is possible this was a latent problem, only exposed by the 13.3.1 update, or the update itself is causing the problem. We will have to wait to see.

Battery drain after updating to iOS 13.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.