Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Organizing Files on iCloud

Is there an easy way to move iCloud files from one folder to the another (organizing) without constantly downloading & uploading to your Mac. Super time consuming at the moments (it takes hours to merge a couple of folders). The 'Cut' Command is greyed out, so I have to use 'Copy & Paste' which cause all the files to be downloaded. The dragging files from one folder to another is not consistent when they are duplicate file (ie if it finds ONE file it sometimes abort the whole copying & I have to do the files one by one!!!!)

MacBook

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 4:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 11:10 AM

As iCloud is a real time syncing service, every "change" you make is, by design, relayed to the other subscribed places in real time.

If you signed out off iCloud, made your changes on the Mac, then signed in again to iCloud, that may save you some bandwidth. The syncing would happen to iCloud in one batch.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2020 11:10 AM in response to alfromottawa

As iCloud is a real time syncing service, every "change" you make is, by design, relayed to the other subscribed places in real time.

If you signed out off iCloud, made your changes on the Mac, then signed in again to iCloud, that may save you some bandwidth. The syncing would happen to iCloud in one batch.

Feb 3, 2020 11:56 AM in response to LACAllen

Thanks for the reply. Actually, most of the files that I needed to move around are on the cloud as I do not have enough disk space to load them all. I though that iCloud was more like an external hard drive & I could decide what folder to sync real time. I just purchased one month of Microsoft OneDrive yesterday & I was able to use it like an external hard drive and sync only the folders that I want to be in real time (just like I wanted). looks like I will be switching to OneDrive.

Organizing Files on iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.