Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am considering buying a macbook 12 inch. Some people say it

I am considering buying a macbook 12 inch. Some people say it's got a lot of problems and are not recommending it. Others say it's not a good idea as its software will soon be obsolete. Any advice?

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 8:40 AM

Are you referring to the 2017 MacBook? If so, I have one and it has basically been flawless for my intended goals for using it. However, I will share two things that you should be aware of before getting one:

1. The notebook uses the "butterfly" keys which were introduced at that time, along with them on the MacBook Pro & Air models. Since then, Apple has redesigned these keys based on user input and the newest Pro & Air models no longer are equipped with these keys. I find them acceptable, but it did take some getting used to. Your experience may be different.
  2. This notebook only has a single USB-C port. This port is NOT Thunderbolt 3 capable. However, a number of third-party sources provided multi-port extensions should you need additional ports. For example, should you need to connect this notebook to an Ethernet network, you will need to get a USB-C-to-Ethernet adapter. This port is also used for charging so any multi-port adapter should also include a charging port.

As far as software, I am currently running the very latest version of macOS Catalina. Apple provides support up to five years after they stop producing a product. The last 2017 MacBook were produced in July 2019. Doing the math tells you it will still be supported by July 2024.

Other than those two things, I really like my MacBook. You cannot find another Mac notebook that is a portable as this one and my only wish is for Apple to reconsider bringing out new models in the future.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2020 8:40 AM in response to Msalaheldin

Are you referring to the 2017 MacBook? If so, I have one and it has basically been flawless for my intended goals for using it. However, I will share two things that you should be aware of before getting one:

1. The notebook uses the "butterfly" keys which were introduced at that time, along with them on the MacBook Pro & Air models. Since then, Apple has redesigned these keys based on user input and the newest Pro & Air models no longer are equipped with these keys. I find them acceptable, but it did take some getting used to. Your experience may be different.
  2. This notebook only has a single USB-C port. This port is NOT Thunderbolt 3 capable. However, a number of third-party sources provided multi-port extensions should you need additional ports. For example, should you need to connect this notebook to an Ethernet network, you will need to get a USB-C-to-Ethernet adapter. This port is also used for charging so any multi-port adapter should also include a charging port.

As far as software, I am currently running the very latest version of macOS Catalina. Apple provides support up to five years after they stop producing a product. The last 2017 MacBook were produced in July 2019. Doing the math tells you it will still be supported by July 2024.

Other than those two things, I really like my MacBook. You cannot find another Mac notebook that is a portable as this one and my only wish is for Apple to reconsider bringing out new models in the future.

I am considering buying a macbook 12 inch. Some people say it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.