Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updates for Apps

I am trying to update some of my apps and I receive the following message: “Cannot Update App.” It says it was purchased with a different Apple ID. How can I fix this?

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 11:57 AM

You cannot. The app was originally purchased using a different Apple ID. You cannot update the app unless you have the Apple ID and password of the purchaser. Otherwise, you can purchase the app using your Apple ID. If you switched to a new Apple ID from the requested Apple ID, then contact Apple.

Contacting Apple Customer and Support Service

1. Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.
  2. Primary support help at Contact Support.
  3. To contact product and tech support:  Contacting Apple for support and service including international calling numbers.
  4. For Mac App Store: Apple - Support - Mac App Store.
  5. For iTunes: Apple - Support - iTunes.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2020 11:57 AM in response to kking54

You cannot. The app was originally purchased using a different Apple ID. You cannot update the app unless you have the Apple ID and password of the purchaser. Otherwise, you can purchase the app using your Apple ID. If you switched to a new Apple ID from the requested Apple ID, then contact Apple.

Contacting Apple Customer and Support Service

1. Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.
  2. Primary support help at Contact Support.
  3. To contact product and tech support:  Contacting Apple for support and service including international calling numbers.
  4. For Mac App Store: Apple - Support - Mac App Store.
  5. For iTunes: Apple - Support - iTunes.

Updates for Apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.