Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad asks do you want to download index .html

Why is my iPad asking me “do you want to download index.html” when opening yahoo...or cnn..or not sure what else

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 8:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2020 6:11 AM

Seems some people trying to help are missing the point. Those seeing this issue, like me, know that it just started to happen after a period when there were no changes to their iPad, and certainly it’s not possible that multiple sites updated their source to be broken for non-desktop browsers.

So, putting the burden onto users to “fix” the problem by flipping modes of the iPad browser is wrong, not the user experience Apple should be going for. You might as well tell people to fix the problem by going to their laptop to view certain sites, or just buy an Android tablet...

And, for heaven’s sake, the browser is asking for the one, standard since forever, file present at the root of every site! No, something is wrong with the browser.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2020 6:11 AM in response to LotusPilot

Seems some people trying to help are missing the point. Those seeing this issue, like me, know that it just started to happen after a period when there were no changes to their iPad, and certainly it’s not possible that multiple sites updated their source to be broken for non-desktop browsers.

So, putting the burden onto users to “fix” the problem by flipping modes of the iPad browser is wrong, not the user experience Apple should be going for. You might as well tell people to fix the problem by going to their laptop to view certain sites, or just buy an Android tablet...

And, for heaven’s sake, the browser is asking for the one, standard since forever, file present at the root of every site! No, something is wrong with the browser.

Feb 2, 2020 7:03 AM in response to misam256

Try clearing Safari website data: Setting app > Safari > Clear History and Website Data. A restart might also be in order. It is also not out of the question that this is a DNS issue and out of your control until a resolution is deployed and propagates.

FYI: this is a user-to-user forum. You are not addressing Apple here. Commands to “sort this out” are not useful or appropriate.

Feb 5, 2020 6:15 AM in response to Coupeit88

No Apple staff participate in these user-to-user Community forums. As such, derogatory comments are neither helpful nor constructive in addressing your problem. However, as an end-user contributor like yourself, I’ll try to help...

The issue you describe is perhaps an issue with the website incorrectly identifying your browser. If using iPadOS, Safari by default operates in its “desktop browser” mode - which identifies the browser as Safari 13 on MacOS (Catalina).

The workaround, for many websites that have issues with iPadOS, is to change Safari to its “mobile browser” mode. For an affected site, tap the aA icon at the left edge of the Safari Address bar - and from the menu select Website Settings; deselect Request Desktop Website, then click Done. Refresh the page.

I hope that affected contributors to this discussion find this to be helpful in resolving this problem.

Feb 5, 2020 8:53 AM in response to barryleigh

The difference between “desktop” and “mobile” renders are not as extreme as you may believe - and for many pages are visually no different. When “mobile” is selected, your web browser is correctly identified as Safari 13 for iOS 13.3 - iPad - fixing most (if not all) rendering issues.

Desktop mode is only really helpful for those websites that aren’t properly written with smaller devices in mind.

Try it... it takes seconds - and it’s very simple to switch back.

Feb 11, 2020 7:41 AM in response to Gator Bob

It is not malware. There is no known malware that can affect an iPad.

It is a glitch. It pointless to accept the download. It will not accomplish anything.

Index.html should not be downloaded, it should be rendered by the browser and displayed in the browser without a download prompt. That is the issue.

No one has answered that particular question, because it is not a relevant question at all in this case.

ipad asks do you want to download index .html

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.