Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to create a Sierra restore drive, Instead I get "/Volumes/MyVolume is not a valid mount point."

I have a used Mac mini with an untrusted install of Sierra upgraded from Lion, thereby activating that security chip to stop me from using Recovery mode to roll back to an new install of Lion and back up via the download from Apple.

I formatted my flash drive as MacOS Extended with the volume name of /MyVolume and followed the instructions on https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372 to the letter, copy and pasting the code for

Sierra into my terminal.

Instead of working, all I keep getting is "/Volumes/MyVolume is not a valid mount point." I left feedback describing this on the support article and got directed to a discussion with multiple copies of that exact same code, all claiming to work where this code doesn't and all giving the exact same error message instead of working.

Only thing on that thread that might have been helpful was a link to a third-party app downloadable from an unknown third-party website to do the job. Not an option.

I've re-initialized the flash drive, typing in the matching volume name each time, and still get the same error: "/Volumes/MyVolume is not a valid mount point."

This used computer may never get a copy of OS X that hasn't already been used on a retired Mac I had.

Mac mini, macOS 10.12

Posted on Feb 2, 2020 3:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2020 5:21 PM

The macOS 10.12 Sierra installer is broken when it comes to creating a bootable USB installer. Apple has been made aware of the issue, but it is still broken. Your options are to install a later version of macOS such as macOS 10.13 High Sierra. AFAIK a Mac which can run Sierra should be able to run High Sierra. If High Sierra is not an option, then you can create a bootable macOS 10.11 El Capitan USB installer, then upgrading to Sierra afterwards.

Depending on the age of the computer you may be able to use Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) to boot into the most recent macOS installer compatible with the computer.

Just make sure to erase the whole physical drive. In more recent versions of macOS you will need to click on "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" so the physical drive appears in the left pane of Disk Utility.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2020 5:21 PM in response to Robert Peters

The macOS 10.12 Sierra installer is broken when it comes to creating a bootable USB installer. Apple has been made aware of the issue, but it is still broken. Your options are to install a later version of macOS such as macOS 10.13 High Sierra. AFAIK a Mac which can run Sierra should be able to run High Sierra. If High Sierra is not an option, then you can create a bootable macOS 10.11 El Capitan USB installer, then upgrading to Sierra afterwards.

Depending on the age of the computer you may be able to use Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) to boot into the most recent macOS installer compatible with the computer.

Just make sure to erase the whole physical drive. In more recent versions of macOS you will need to click on "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" so the physical drive appears in the left pane of Disk Utility.

Trying to create a Sierra restore drive, Instead I get "/Volumes/MyVolume is not a valid mount point."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.