You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Chrome icon from Finder

Ever since updating to Catalina, the icon for Google Chrome is missing. It's missing from the dock as well as Finder. It shows up as a generic application icon.

Chrome is up-to-date. I've tried deleting and reinstalling it. No change.

I've used the trick to replace the icon within the Get Info window, but the image changes to a generic icon for whatever image type I use.

Tried rebooting in Safe Mode and restarting. Tried resetting the SMC and PRAM. Same issue.

What can I do?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 1:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2020 8:15 AM

Hi Provolone_Wolf,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand your Google Chrome icon is not appearing on your application. I'd like to help.

It sounds like Google Chrome is working OK, but the icon that represents this application is incorrect. You mentioned you deleted and reinstalled Google Chrome. To confirm, did you follow the steps as suggested by Google Support here: Uninstall Google Chrome - Computer - Google Chrome Help. If you did not, try these steps to uninstall, and then reinstall Google Chrome to test for the issue once more: Download & install Google Chrome - Computer - Google Chrome Help.

Otherwise, it sounds like you took some great steps already. Were you able to reproduce the same issue while in safe mode, or did the icon appear correctly?

I would also like you to test a new user account to isolate if this is a user-specific issue, or a system-wide issue. Here’s how: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support. Based on the results in the new user, you could continue to the section titled 'If the issue doesn't happen in the other account' or 'If the issue happens in the other account' to continue troubleshooting.

Let me know how this goes. Regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 6, 2020 8:15 AM in response to Provolone_Wolf

Hi Provolone_Wolf,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand your Google Chrome icon is not appearing on your application. I'd like to help.

It sounds like Google Chrome is working OK, but the icon that represents this application is incorrect. You mentioned you deleted and reinstalled Google Chrome. To confirm, did you follow the steps as suggested by Google Support here: Uninstall Google Chrome - Computer - Google Chrome Help. If you did not, try these steps to uninstall, and then reinstall Google Chrome to test for the issue once more: Download & install Google Chrome - Computer - Google Chrome Help.

Otherwise, it sounds like you took some great steps already. Were you able to reproduce the same issue while in safe mode, or did the icon appear correctly?

I would also like you to test a new user account to isolate if this is a user-specific issue, or a system-wide issue. Here’s how: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support. Based on the results in the new user, you could continue to the section titled 'If the issue doesn't happen in the other account' or 'If the issue happens in the other account' to continue troubleshooting.

Let me know how this goes. Regards.

Missing Chrome icon from Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.