Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sending messages from MacBook Air to android phones

Hi - all of a sudden I can't send messages from my MacBook Air to android phones. Does anyone have any idea why this has happened and how I can change it back? Thank you

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 3:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 3:20 PM

A Mac is not a cellular telephone. By itself, a Mac has never had any capability to send or receive an SMS text message to/from a cellular telephone.

There are a few ways such a message can be communicated. The most prevalent would be to use an iPhone as an intermediary device, with the iPhone actually doing the communicating to the Android phone and the Mac handing off to the iPhone.

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2020 3:20 PM in response to Naomi from Melbourne

A Mac is not a cellular telephone. By itself, a Mac has never had any capability to send or receive an SMS text message to/from a cellular telephone.

There are a few ways such a message can be communicated. The most prevalent would be to use an iPhone as an intermediary device, with the iPhone actually doing the communicating to the Android phone and the Mac handing off to the iPhone.

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

Sending messages from MacBook Air to android phones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.