Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old Word files are now Unix executable files and won't open How to recover?

I have Word files that are between 15 and 25 years old and in the Folders are no longer Word docs. They are now listed as "Unix executable." When I double-click on them I get some strange Terminal message that refers me to an Apple page about changing my "shell." Microsoft has no advice. Any thoughts on how to open these old Word docs?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 4:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 4:21 PM

The free LibreOffice, or try with Microsoft Office 2016 or later.

What you’re seeing is the “I don’t have anything that knows about this file” behavior, so you’ll have to install a tool to access these old Office docs.

If you’ve just done a Catalina upgrade, you’ll absolutely need to upgrade to Office 2016, Office 2019, or Office 365, if you’re going to use Microsoft Office tools. Office 2011 and earlier are 32-bit apps, and incompatible with Catalina. Or use LibreOffice, or such.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2020 4:21 PM in response to crweisz

The free LibreOffice, or try with Microsoft Office 2016 or later.

What you’re seeing is the “I don’t have anything that knows about this file” behavior, so you’ll have to install a tool to access these old Office docs.

If you’ve just done a Catalina upgrade, you’ll absolutely need to upgrade to Office 2016, Office 2019, or Office 365, if you’re going to use Microsoft Office tools. Office 2011 and earlier are 32-bit apps, and incompatible with Catalina. Or use LibreOffice, or such.

Old Word files are now Unix executable files and won't open How to recover?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.