Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac is OSX El Capital. Does updating Safari affect this in any way?

My mac is OS X El Capital Version dated 10/11/16. Does updating Safari affect is in any way? I do not want to upgrade my Mac Version.

Posted on Feb 4, 2020 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2020 12:24 PM

If you are on Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6, that is the last version of El Capitan and Safari will be at the latest/ last version for that OS. Mac OS X El Capitan does not receive updates from Apple any longer.

To get a more modern version of Safari with the latest security then you would need to upgrade your OS

to macOS High Sierra, macOS Mojave or the latest OS macOS Catalina.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2020 12:24 PM in response to dixie149

If you are on Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6, that is the last version of El Capitan and Safari will be at the latest/ last version for that OS. Mac OS X El Capitan does not receive updates from Apple any longer.

To get a more modern version of Safari with the latest security then you would need to upgrade your OS

to macOS High Sierra, macOS Mojave or the latest OS macOS Catalina.

Feb 7, 2020 12:16 AM in response to dixie149

You may consider another secure browser and email client for use in El Capitan 10.11.6. Those

supplied by Apple & no longer see 'secure updates' or upgrades in their respective functions.

The following from Mozilla work for free; and may buy you time. Firefox & Thunderbird.

• Firefox:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

• Thunderbird:

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/

(Other secure web browsers and email clients may still be available for El Capitan 10.11.6.)

My Mac is OSX El Capital. Does updating Safari affect this in any way?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.