Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing windows 10 on second internal drive. Mbp 2012)

Hi.

I've been trying to get windows 10 on my 2012 macbook Pro.

I tried using bootcamp but the installation hangs.

I've tried various methods. I now have Windows 10 installed on a USB key but I'd like the installation on my second internal ssd.

I've tried using third party system migration software (within Windows on USB flash drive) to copy the working version of Windows to the empty 1tb internal drive.

When I try to boot from the spare internal windows"disk I get the message asking me to insert boot disk and press any key.

Really stuck with this.

I thought system clone from usb to Internal ssd would work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have 2 internal drives because I previously removed the dvd drive and swapped it for a 1tb ssd. The osx os is installed on a separate 500gb ssd with which I have no problem.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 4, 2020 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2020 11:58 AM

On a 2012 Mac, where the Optical drive has been replaced...

• Windows can only be installed on the Main bay disk (not the Optibay), and it should stay there, otherwise Windows will not work properly
  • Windows must be installed and functional while the Optibay drive has been physically disconnected from the SATA connector. Once Windows is fully functional, you can reconnect the Optibay drive.
  • Be aware that you will be unable to run any Windows repairs when in the dual-disk configuration. The Optibay drive must be disconnected for any potential Windows repair to work

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2020 11:58 AM in response to Paulypatrick

On a 2012 Mac, where the Optical drive has been replaced...

• Windows can only be installed on the Main bay disk (not the Optibay), and it should stay there, otherwise Windows will not work properly
  • Windows must be installed and functional while the Optibay drive has been physically disconnected from the SATA connector. Once Windows is fully functional, you can reconnect the Optibay drive.
  • Be aware that you will be unable to run any Windows repairs when in the dual-disk configuration. The Optibay drive must be disconnected for any potential Windows repair to work

Installing windows 10 on second internal drive. Mbp 2012)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.