Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore files from ipad2 itunes backup to macbook pro hard drive

I have an iTunes backup of my ipad2. My ipad2 was recently destroyed. I want to restore my ipad2 backup files to my macbookpro drive. What is the best way to do this?

MacBook Pro 15", OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 4, 2020 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 3:38 AM

I don’t don’t believe it is possible to restore/unpack files, from an iCloud or iTunes backup, to another computer - Mac or otherwise. I’ve also not discovered any commercially available tool to recover files from the device backup file.

An iOS/iPadOS backup can only be restored, complete, to another iOS/iPadOS device; individual files cannot be selectively restored. Effectively, the ”backup” is a single OS-specific archive.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2020 3:38 AM in response to dwalker9999

I don’t don’t believe it is possible to restore/unpack files, from an iCloud or iTunes backup, to another computer - Mac or otherwise. I’ve also not discovered any commercially available tool to recover files from the device backup file.

An iOS/iPadOS backup can only be restored, complete, to another iOS/iPadOS device; individual files cannot be selectively restored. Effectively, the ”backup” is a single OS-specific archive.

Restore files from ipad2 itunes backup to macbook pro hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.