Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XR won't shut off or open apps

My iPhone XR isn't responding correctly. I try to open an app and nothing happens. I've tried to soft reset it and power it off, but the phone just vibrates and doesn't come up with the slider to power off. The side button, volume buttons, and ringer works fine. The screen turns on and stays on until it goes into sleep mode. I've tried connecting it to iTunes but the phone won't trust the computer. Any suggestions?

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 4, 2020 6:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2020 6:11 PM

Do a force restart: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen - Apple Support

7 replies

Feb 4, 2020 6:35 PM in response to TheTannerMan51

What happens when you try to force restart it? Does it actually restart and the issue persists? Or does it not restart and instead the slide to power off comes on? If it's the second one, I assure you you're doing the force restart wrong.

Either way, if you connect your phone to a computer with iTunes and force restart it while its connected, it will go into recovery mode and you will be given the option to update or restore, chose update unless you want to erase everything in which case you select restore.

Feb 4, 2020 8:52 PM in response to TheTannerMan51

To power off, you could go into Settings, General and shutdown at the bottom of the menu.

If you are ok with reinstalling apps, you could delete your nonApple apps, then try to restart and see if that helps.

If it's still an issue and you have all your data and pics stored in icloud and not on the phone, sign out, put it on airplane mode and immediately do another soft factory reset. When reset is done you'll sign in and set up as new.

iPhone XR won't shut off or open apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.