Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Imovie support the new Canon HF-G50 and Hf-G60 cmacorder

Does Imovie support the new Canon HF-G50 and Hf-G60 camcorder (import from SD card)

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 3:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 8:36 AM

Hi,

I don't see the HF G50 or HF G60 camcorders displayed on Apple's list of compatible cameras. Here's a link to the supported cameras website:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204202#canon

Even if not listed, the camcorders may still create videos that will work with iMovie. You might need to export the video clips from the camcorder to your desktop and use a video converter like the free download Handbrake to convert the clips to H.264, Mp4/AAC that iMovie likes. Since they are not listed, no way to tell for sure whether the Camcorders will work with iMovie until you try them. You might check with the Canon website, if they have a support feature, and pose your question there.

-- Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2020 8:36 AM in response to nico269

Hi,

I don't see the HF G50 or HF G60 camcorders displayed on Apple's list of compatible cameras. Here's a link to the supported cameras website:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204202#canon

Even if not listed, the camcorders may still create videos that will work with iMovie. You might need to export the video clips from the camcorder to your desktop and use a video converter like the free download Handbrake to convert the clips to H.264, Mp4/AAC that iMovie likes. Since they are not listed, no way to tell for sure whether the Camcorders will work with iMovie until you try them. You might check with the Canon website, if they have a support feature, and pose your question there.

-- Rich

Feb 5, 2020 9:01 AM in response to Rich839

Thanks for the info! I checked Apple's list as well and that's why I asked the question. Maybe Apple is behind and has not yet updated the list. I saw one comment on the net where an G 50 owner could not upload 4K takes from the SD card. Question is if Imovie accepts MP4 Full HD 1920x1080 (oversampled from 4K) from the G50/G60 as it does for all other Canon camcorders (G30 etc)? Anyway, I will check as well with Canon.

thanks again

Nick

Feb 5, 2020 9:32 AM in response to nico269

Yeah, it could be that the list is not updated yet, although Apple is usually pretty timely. The G 50 manual indicates that it can record HD with Mp4 at 60 fps with AAC audio. Also 4K at 30 fps. Those formats should work in iMovie even if for some reason they cannot be imported directly into iMovie. In other words, assuming that your Mac recognizes the camera, you might need to use the Image Capture app on your Mac to import from the Camera to your desktop, and then from there import into iMovie by dragging. As I say, no way to tell what works until you try it. Maybe you could go into a camera store with your laptop and connector cables and see if they will let you try a G 50 or G 60.

-- Rich

Feb 5, 2020 10:09 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich

Here in Europe it is 25 fps or 50 fps, but that doesn't matter. The problem is that 90% of the sales of such cameras are nowadays made by internet (Amazon etc.). In my area no store has this camera on stock. Available only on command. I bought my actual G30 4 years ago through Amazon and I still love the camera. Heavy use with absolutely no problem. But now I want to upgrade for even better quality, actually in Full HD (tests are convincing). 4k will be for future use. I'll try to find a G50 user on the net who uses Imovie. Never give up!

So long

Nick

Does Imovie support the new Canon HF-G50 and Hf-G60 cmacorder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.