Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual monitor with iMac and MacBook Pro

How can I connect my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) to my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch early 2015) to use it as an extended/secondary display?

I've read online that I can't use the Thunderbolt cable, is there another way?

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 10:38 AM

What you are attempting is impossible as all Retina Displays do not support Target Display Mode. This feature has been dropped, the only iMacs that supported it were late 2009 - 2010 27" iMacs and some 2011 - 2014 iMacs. If your MBP needs an external display, you need to buy one. Please remember an iMac is a computer and is not intended to be an external display for another device. This question comes up daily and the answer is always the same, and no there is no viable work around.

Target Display Mode FAQ

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2020 10:38 AM in response to andri129

What you are attempting is impossible as all Retina Displays do not support Target Display Mode. This feature has been dropped, the only iMacs that supported it were late 2009 - 2010 27" iMacs and some 2011 - 2014 iMacs. If your MBP needs an external display, you need to buy one. Please remember an iMac is a computer and is not intended to be an external display for another device. This question comes up daily and the answer is always the same, and no there is no viable work around.

Target Display Mode FAQ

Dual monitor with iMac and MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.