Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory and iTunes problems ("iTunes could not back up the iPhone because the iPhone disconnected")

I have an 16gb iPhone 5c, and the problem I usually have is that most of my available space gets filled with the "Others" category (right now that is more than 7gb). Normally, I would make an iTunes backup and then restore my phone with the backup, so that the Others category would go down to a minimum. Now the problem is that iTunes won't ever complete the backup ("iTunes could not back up the iPhone because the iPhone disconnected") and, therefore, I can't restore my phone to have more space available.

I've tried changing the cable, using different USB ports, different computers (with no backups saved from before), updating iTunes, having Airplane mode on while making the backup, restoring the settings... Nothing works for me. I've read about DFU but I don't really understand how to fix my problem with that method. Would it erase everything that I have on my phone that isn't backed up? Because I really want to avoid that. What about recovery mode?

I have iOS 10.3.3 (lastest available according to iTunes), so my phone isn't exactly the fastest and most efficient, but with the lack of space it gets so much worse. It's starting to bug constantly, and I need to find a way to at least get iTunes to complete the backup.

Any advice/solution? Thanks in advance.

iPhone 5c, iOS 10

Posted on Feb 6, 2020 7:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2020 7:55 PM

That happened to an old i6+ whenever I tried to sync; the fail occurred at the end of the backup phase and no backup occurred, though the apps did get updated. Only way to get a good backup was to start a new backup file by deleting the old one or archiving it (ITunes Preferences / Devices, right click on the appropriate file). When I got fed up, did a new, full backup onto the local drive with password, wiped the phone clean (Settings / General / Reset / Erase All Contents & Settings, don’t forget to turn Find My Phone in iCloud first), plugged it to the Mac and had iTunes set it up as a Restore from the latest backup.

’Failed to sync’ gremlins have not returned since. And the heap of unknown crud in Other also disappeared, got a big bunch of GBs back.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2020 7:55 PM in response to isaxxn

That happened to an old i6+ whenever I tried to sync; the fail occurred at the end of the backup phase and no backup occurred, though the apps did get updated. Only way to get a good backup was to start a new backup file by deleting the old one or archiving it (ITunes Preferences / Devices, right click on the appropriate file). When I got fed up, did a new, full backup onto the local drive with password, wiped the phone clean (Settings / General / Reset / Erase All Contents & Settings, don’t forget to turn Find My Phone in iCloud first), plugged it to the Mac and had iTunes set it up as a Restore from the latest backup.

’Failed to sync’ gremlins have not returned since. And the heap of unknown crud in Other also disappeared, got a big bunch of GBs back.

Memory and iTunes problems ("iTunes could not back up the iPhone because the iPhone disconnected")

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.