Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I backup before ‘stop restore ipad’?

My iPad has been stuck in a restore for many months I have realised. I can’t update my software and it’s not been backing up for all that time. To fix the problem I am advised to ‘stop restoring ipad’ but I think this will mean that I lose all my work from the last few months. How can I back up before stopping the restore please? Many thanks

iPad Pro, iOS 12

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 12:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 1:34 AM

Hopefully you’ll still be able to backup your device to your iCloud:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > iCloud Backup - set to ON

Once iCloud Backup has been enabled, assuming you have adequate capacity in your iCloud (you can subscribe to more space if needed), your device should automatically backup when the device is connected to external power and is locked - once a day. You can also initiate an immediate backup:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > iCloud Backup > Backup Now

You can see your backup and the last backup date/time here:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups

If you are unable to backup to iCloud, you can alternatively connect your device to your PC/Mac - and using iTunes create a local backup of the device; you will need to select a passcode for the backup if you wish to create a full-backup that includes encrypted sensitive data (e.g., your Keychain).

Here is an Apple help article that should clarify the backup processes:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203977

I hope this is helpful in resolving your query.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2020 1:34 AM in response to Hanlapin

Hopefully you’ll still be able to backup your device to your iCloud:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > iCloud Backup - set to ON

Once iCloud Backup has been enabled, assuming you have adequate capacity in your iCloud (you can subscribe to more space if needed), your device should automatically backup when the device is connected to external power and is locked - once a day. You can also initiate an immediate backup:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > iCloud Backup > Backup Now

You can see your backup and the last backup date/time here:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups

If you are unable to backup to iCloud, you can alternatively connect your device to your PC/Mac - and using iTunes create a local backup of the device; you will need to select a passcode for the backup if you wish to create a full-backup that includes encrypted sensitive data (e.g., your Keychain).

Here is an Apple help article that should clarify the backup processes:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203977

I hope this is helpful in resolving your query.

How can I backup before ‘stop restore ipad’?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.