Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro 15 (early 2008) reboots very often

I'm aware that I have a fairly old-fashioned computer so be gently and don't tell me it's vintage and to trash it!

A couple of months ago the computer started to reboot itself. Initially it only happened immediately after sleep, then it happened a little randomly, but more often on these occasions:

• when I save/print a document from the browser (I use chrome, maybe it happened with Safari too)
  • before clicking on turn off
  • when I move or copy documents from one folder to another

Sometimes I can use it for a whole day if I just use the browser or photoshop, or it restarts continuously as soon as I try to scan, but once it allowed me to scan all afternoon without any restart.

At first I thought it depended on the strength with which I clicked, 'cause it happened when I clicked on space bar or enter, but I am more a gently lady than a caveman so I excluded this stupid hypothesis (but I started to be even kinder to this old guy).

When it starts no error message appears.

Before taking it to an authorized service center, there is no apple store where I live, I would like to understand what the problem might be and evaluate if it is worth a repair, or if I can do it myself. I will buy a new computer within the year for sure, but at the moment I would like to continue using this.

So, for vintage lovers, here are some specific:

Macbook pro 15", early 2008

2,4 GHz intel core 2 Duo

Memory 3GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB

Two years ago the HDD was replaced by an SSD and the os "updated" from 10.5 to 10.9.5

There is no battery, I only use it with its power supply.

I hope you can give me some indications, thanks.

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 5:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 6:37 PM

Try an SMC reset and a PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes so it activates several times).

To look for possible software issues run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

What make & model of SSD did you install?

Check for Kernel Panic logs using the Console app. Kernel Panic logs can be found within the "/var/log" or "/private/var/log" folder. I forget how the Kernel Panic logs were named on the older macOS, but they either contain the word "kernel" or "panic" in the name. It is possible there a no Kernel Panics logs.

You can also try running the Apple Hardware Test.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2020 6:37 PM in response to csunburn

Try an SMC reset and a PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes so it activates several times).

To look for possible software issues run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

What make & model of SSD did you install?

Check for Kernel Panic logs using the Console app. Kernel Panic logs can be found within the "/var/log" or "/private/var/log" folder. I forget how the Kernel Panic logs were named on the older macOS, but they either contain the word "kernel" or "panic" in the name. It is possible there a no Kernel Panics logs.

You can also try running the Apple Hardware Test.

Feb 7, 2020 5:46 AM in response to csunburn

You might learn something by looking at the logs of the computer. In Applications->Utilities is the Console app. Open it up and see if there is a consistent set of messages leading up to each reboot. That may give you a clue as to what is happening.

The usual questions about whether you installed new software, did any upgrades before this started happening would apply but I have to say with that age hardware it is possible something is failing, has become heat sensitive or something like that. You may get lucky and get some indication of what sort of panic is causing the reboot from the advice above.

One sort of Easter egg kind of test you can do is open it up, pull out the memory cards and put them back in. Those contacts have been through a number of heat / cool cycles without being disturbed, you might get lucky and clear up what has become an intermittent connection.

Macbook pro 15 (early 2008) reboots very often

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.