Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I send text messages to people without an iphone

How do I send text messages on my iPad 7th generation to people who don’t have an iPhone?

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 7:58 AM

SMS/MMS messages are a Cellular Carrier feature - and for you to send them from your iPad you will need an iPhone with Cellular Service plan that includes SMS messaging. Anyone with a phone that can receive text messages can then send or receive messages to/from you - on either your iPhone or iPad.

If you don’t have an iPhone associated with your AppleID, you are limited to sending and receiving messages via Apple’s own iMessage service - and are therefore limited to sending and receiving messages to/from Apple devices.

If you have an iPhone - and that both your iPhone and iPad are logged-in to iCloud with the same AppleID, on your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - enable for your iPad.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2020 7:58 AM in response to Trapper321

SMS/MMS messages are a Cellular Carrier feature - and for you to send them from your iPad you will need an iPhone with Cellular Service plan that includes SMS messaging. Anyone with a phone that can receive text messages can then send or receive messages to/from you - on either your iPhone or iPad.

If you don’t have an iPhone associated with your AppleID, you are limited to sending and receiving messages via Apple’s own iMessage service - and are therefore limited to sending and receiving messages to/from Apple devices.

If you have an iPhone - and that both your iPhone and iPad are logged-in to iCloud with the same AppleID, on your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - enable for your iPad.

how do I send text messages to people without an iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.