Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Typing problems

When typing on my iPad Mini 4, the letters either change on their own or just don't type. When I backspace to correct it may start typing random letters rather than erasing. When typing a remark for example on Facebook, I will have to make a correction in every word in a two-line remark. BTW, I've been a typist for over 50 years and had a 65-70 wpm BEFORE keyboards and learned on an old manual typewriter. Just wanted to throw that out there before someone came back with "it's just user" issues. Thanks

iPad mini 4, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 12:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 12:10 PM

There are two worst-case possibilities I can think of, so I'll give you those first: One is that it's a software-related issue that can be fixed with a reset as a last resort, or that it's a hardware-related issue for the screen components, which wouldn't be very good at all.

Now for some trouble-shooting:

1. Make sure your screen is clean and smooth to the touch. If it needs to be cleaned, well, you know how to do that.
  2. If it still doesn't work, turn off Bluetooth in settings and try to type once again. There may be an input device conflicting with the on-screen keyboard.
  3. If it's still acting like that, check your keyboard settings in Settings>General>Keyboard. See if there's anything irregular or if you're using a third-party on-screen keyboard. Some examples of these could be Grammarly or GIF Keyboard.

If all of these fail to solve it, I'd say just take to an Apple Store and let the Genius Bar people take a look at it.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2020 12:10 PM in response to randomtyping

There are two worst-case possibilities I can think of, so I'll give you those first: One is that it's a software-related issue that can be fixed with a reset as a last resort, or that it's a hardware-related issue for the screen components, which wouldn't be very good at all.

Now for some trouble-shooting:

1. Make sure your screen is clean and smooth to the touch. If it needs to be cleaned, well, you know how to do that.
  2. If it still doesn't work, turn off Bluetooth in settings and try to type once again. There may be an input device conflicting with the on-screen keyboard.
  3. If it's still acting like that, check your keyboard settings in Settings>General>Keyboard. See if there's anything irregular or if you're using a third-party on-screen keyboard. Some examples of these could be Grammarly or GIF Keyboard.

If all of these fail to solve it, I'd say just take to an Apple Store and let the Genius Bar people take a look at it.

Typing problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.