Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting images in full resolution from photos APP...

I am exporting around 700 images from the photo APP and although the settings are set to maximum JPEG resolution around 20% of the images have been downsized to 1086 pixels wide from the original 6000 pixels that my camera captured the image at. The images have only been brightened up and not cropped. Within the APP the images show a width of 6000 pixels. The folder of images should be 8.8GB according to the Photos APP however after being exported that is reduced to around 5.5GB. Something is happening during the export process and I'm not sure what. I have recently repaired the photos library but this has made NO difference. Please help...

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 5:41 AM

I need to click on each image and then 'edit' for the high res to preview to be displayed instead of a pixelated preview.

Have you tried to rotate the photo back and forth instead of going into the edit mode? Rotating can be done while viewing the thumbnail. Just select a few thumbnails at once, then use the command ⌘R to rotate in one direction, wait for the thumbnails to be recreated, then rotate back with ⌥⌘R. If it works, it will be quicker than going into Edit mode for every photo.

Some cleaning applications are simply not safe to use. Apple is warning again programs that modify the Photos Library directly, see: Using third-party apps to remove duplicate photos might damage your Photos for macOS library - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2020 5:41 AM in response to 5cof13ld

I need to click on each image and then 'edit' for the high res to preview to be displayed instead of a pixelated preview.

Have you tried to rotate the photo back and forth instead of going into the edit mode? Rotating can be done while viewing the thumbnail. Just select a few thumbnails at once, then use the command ⌘R to rotate in one direction, wait for the thumbnails to be recreated, then rotate back with ⌥⌘R. If it works, it will be quicker than going into Edit mode for every photo.

Some cleaning applications are simply not safe to use. Apple is warning again programs that modify the Photos Library directly, see: Using third-party apps to remove duplicate photos might damage your Photos for macOS library - Apple Support

Feb 8, 2020 3:31 AM in response to 5cof13ld

You are saying exported at "Maximum JPEG Resolution". But what are the settings for the size? Is it set to the full size? The default is "Medium", and that is only suitable for stamp collectors.

Did you use an external editor to edit the photos or edit them on your iPhone? An external editor may have changed the pixel size of the edited version, but Photos will still report the original size.

Another possible reason for image files, that are exported at a smaller size is running cleaning applications like "Clean My Mac". When I tested the trial of "Clean My Mac 3" on a small test library, it had removed the high resolution original image files and replaced them by the smaller, edited versions, and there has been no way to recover the high quality originals from that library.

Feb 8, 2020 3:52 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for your response. I think you're correct. I have used Clean My Mac and although the full resolution files are still contained with the Photos program the previews are gone. I need to click on each image and then 'edit' for the high res to preview to be displayed instead of a pixelated preview. I solved the problem by exporting smaller batches and not the 700+ in one go. The really annoying thing is that it doesn't do it with all of them. I have tried to export the 700+ batch on several occasions and on each the output file sizes are different. The export settings were set to full size and the images were edited within the photos APP on the mac. I think me and Clean My Mac are now now going to file for a divorce.

Exporting images in full resolution from photos APP...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.