Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad mini 4 bluetooth pairing problem with iPhone Xr

I'm unable to pair my new iPhone Xr with my iPad mini 4. I've tried turning both devices off/on, forgetting the established pairing, charging to ensure both are more than 50% charged, turning off/on bluetooth, turning off/on airplane mode. The phone recognizes the iPad and vice versa but when I try to pair them, I get an error on my phone telling me "Pairing Unsuccessful. iPad is not supported." On my iPad the error says "Pairing Unsuccessful. Make sure iPhone is on, in range, and is ready to pair." Both are updated to the OS 13.3.1, bluetooth turned on, and very near each other.

This is very disappointing. Is there a fix?

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 12:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 12:54 PM

That is because the iPhone and iPad are not made to pair via Bluetooth.

What is it that you are trying to do. There are certain tasks that require Bluetooth to be turned on for both devices, but they do not need to be paired, especially since you cannot pair them.

4 replies

Feb 8, 2020 1:07 PM in response to StephPetty

That is possible, but it does not require they be paired. You can use Personal Hotspot either by cable, wi-fi, or Bluetooth, whichever works best. See this for the use of Personal Hotspot. How to set up a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support, and this for any additional troubleshooting, If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular) - Apple Support

Ipad mini 4 bluetooth pairing problem with iPhone Xr

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.