Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I find out Username for admin

i forgot my administrator name and password so that i cant open the system preferences

Hi,

I am a Mac book air user. I forgot my administrator name and so that I can't unlock my user and groups in system preferences also in many settings I can't open without administrator name and password and also I can't delete my apps it requires the administrator name I forgot it so that I can't delete my apps or make any changes

MacBook

Posted on Feb 9, 2020 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2020 3:04 PM

Click on setting icon, choose User & Groups... click on that... Left window pane will show a "name" with Admin listed under it...

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2020 3:04 PM in response to Lgabriel_14

Click on setting icon, choose User & Groups... click on that... Left window pane will show a "name" with Admin listed under it...

Feb 9, 2020 2:58 PM in response to Lgabriel_14

Shutdown the computer.

Start the computer, then press and hold down command and R keys to start into recovery partition.

When you see the Apple logo and the progress bar, release the keys.

You have to press hard the Trackpad to register the click.

Select the “Language”, if not already.

Click the arrow button at the bottom.

Wait until  OS X Utilities window shows up.

Move the mouse pointer to the menubar at the very top of the screen, click "Utilities” and then select "Terminal"

from the dropdown.

Terminal window will open.

Type in   resetpassword   and press enter on the keyboard.

Reset Password window will open showing all user names.

Quit Terminal.

Quit all windows and click restart from  in the menu bar if a dialog doesn't appear showing you the option.

How do I find out Username for admin

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.