Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp partition bigger than C drive

I backed up my windows so i could create a new bootcamp partition that was bigger and restored the windows image.

This is what my disk management looks like. I set bootcamp to be 94 gigs but as you can see the volume (in the top list of partitions) says it's 60 gigs with 10 gigs free...

I'm not really sure how to go about really getting the most out of the bootcamp partition size, I'd appreciate any help.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 9, 2020 7:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2020 8:26 PM

You can change the size of the Boot Camp partition by using Boot Camp Assistant to remove the partition and rejoin it to your macOS partition. Then you can use BCA to create a new, larger Windows partition. You should know that when creating a Boot Camp partition the size of the partition is limited to the largest contiguous chunk of free space on the disk. Although one may find 300GBs of free space on the disk, if you try to allocate, say 100GBs for Windows but there is only 62GBs of contiguous space on the disk, then that is the largest Windows partition you can create.

The reason a disk may not have as much contiguous space as it has available space is due to fragmentation. Although macOS uses methods to minimize fragmentation, it is not completely avoidable. If you need a much larger Windows partition but cannot get it because of fragmentation, then you need to defragment the drive. This is both time consuming and potentially risky.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2020 8:26 PM in response to johnathan314

You can change the size of the Boot Camp partition by using Boot Camp Assistant to remove the partition and rejoin it to your macOS partition. Then you can use BCA to create a new, larger Windows partition. You should know that when creating a Boot Camp partition the size of the partition is limited to the largest contiguous chunk of free space on the disk. Although one may find 300GBs of free space on the disk, if you try to allocate, say 100GBs for Windows but there is only 62GBs of contiguous space on the disk, then that is the largest Windows partition you can create.

The reason a disk may not have as much contiguous space as it has available space is due to fragmentation. Although macOS uses methods to minimize fragmentation, it is not completely avoidable. If you need a much larger Windows partition but cannot get it because of fragmentation, then you need to defragment the drive. This is both time consuming and potentially risky.

Bootcamp partition bigger than C drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.