Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why allowDeviceNameModification is not working in iOS 12 but working in iOS 13

I have two Supervised device iOS 12 and iOS 13. I am appling restriction profile in both device from MDM

allowDeviceNameModification = false

both Devices not allowing me to change the name from the device side, which is justified from Apple doc it's working fine from the device side.

but I am also facing very weird behavior in iOS 12 devices. when I am trying to change the name from the MDM side it's not working, while it's working in iOS 13 devices.

iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Feb 9, 2020 10:33 PM

10 replies

Feb 18, 2020 1:07 PM in response to celliott147

Sorry, I can't reveal the company name because of company policy.

I tried the same thing again today, but not from the MDM console. This time I used the Apple Configurator 2. I saw again the same things after applying the same profile on both devices. I am not able to change the name from Apple Configurator 2 itself for both devices.

Now on this what is your suggestion and please try with Apple Configurator 2 and let me know is this working with you or not.

Feb 18, 2020 1:22 PM in response to anupgupta-arg

Again, I can do this with multiple MDMs, and with AC2. Both iOS 12 and 13. If you can't reveal the MDM then you need to go to their forum and ask there as there are too many variables to troubleshoot here. If I don't have all the info, I can't see if I can duplicate it.

Side note that being unable to reveal relevant information when seeking support is a silly policy unless it's a custom MDM at which point, you would need to contact the developer anyways.

why allowDeviceNameModification is not working in iOS 12 but working in iOS 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.