Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my external HDD for photos only show 20Gb used?

I am using iCloud Photo Library, at moment busy trying to download all from iCloud after problems on changing my Mac.

My photo library is over 1Tb and is stored on an external USB HDD.

It’s still downloading (after days and days and days), I’ve selected “download originals” and it’s set as system library.

If I go to finder app it shows 20Gb, if I goto storage management, it shows as 525Gb. Why the difference? Which is true?

I’m trying to “force” the downloads to be quicker by clicking through my 30’000 items so they download, see the white circle which I believe means it’s downloading the full resolution picture or video to my Mac external HDD.

So what is the issue here? How do I find out which is true storage? It shown at 20Gb for ages now even though I’m downloading , and clicking on the photos and videos.

thanks

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Feb 10, 2020 4:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2020 4:59 AM

The Finder (nam macOS 10.15 Catalina) is currently showing random sizes for the Photos Library and does not update the size immediately, when we add or delete photos from the library. To get an idea of the true size of your Photos Library look into the package.

• Select the library on the Finder,
  • then ctrl-click it or right-click it.
  • Use the command "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu.
  • Check the sizes of the sub folders. The downloaded originals should be in the subfolder "Originals."

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2020 4:59 AM in response to QwertyMan11

The Finder (nam macOS 10.15 Catalina) is currently showing random sizes for the Photos Library and does not update the size immediately, when we add or delete photos from the library. To get an idea of the true size of your Photos Library look into the package.

• Select the library on the Finder,
  • then ctrl-click it or right-click it.
  • Use the command "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu.
  • Check the sizes of the sub folders. The downloaded originals should be in the subfolder "Originals."

Why does my external HDD for photos only show 20Gb used?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.