Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Money withdrawn when downloading free app

Downloaded a free app called 'Totok' something similar to 'Whatsapp' on the 07/02/2020 for calls via wifi.

After downloading the app I did not like it and went and uninstalled it.

The following day I was charged $199 by a company called Manychat, which I did not recognise (fraudulent ?)

Went back onto the appstore and looked at the reviews for the app and 11 other apple users had been charged $199 each.

This should not have happened, so I called apple support who told me to take this up with my credit card company.

My credit card is nn my Apple wallet, thinking apple is safe and secure I was taken back when apple support told me that I needed to take this up with the credit card company.

Fraud occurred through the apple appstore which gave the developer access to my credit card so that they could withdraw funds. This has caused a great deal of inconvenience for me.

Apple have since removed the app, but no mention of recovering the money I lost or the money the other app users lost through this app.

iPhone X

Posted on Feb 11, 2020 1:41 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 14, 2020 4:20 AM in response to Xexpress

dear apple. I installed ‘totok’, a free app, to my iphone on feb 10th. Instead it installed an app named ‘musiq black’ From a group ‘manychat’ and stole 199 dollars from my apple pay account. Your customer support service wasn’t even aware of the scam and refused to reimburse me for the stolen sum. This needs to be sorted out immediately. And the funds restored to my account.

Feb 18, 2020 5:12 AM in response to kristianfromroma

I reported this to Apple support, after several calls and being bounced around they removed the totok app from the appstore.

Now trying to get my money back.

Apple seem to be at fault for allowing rogue developers through on to the appstore who then are able to withdraw funds without your consent or knowledge.

THis is still on going with apple.

This has ruined my whole week with having to cancel all my cards and being passed from pillar to post.

Finally I have someone that might be able to help a little further.

Money withdrawn when downloading free app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.