Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with MacBookPro (early 2015) - tried to install fresh but failed and loaded El Capitan and cant even install it anymore???

I have a disturbing technical problem.

After some Ruby on Rails and AMPPS testing i decided to start over fresh on my MacBook. So i transferred files i need to cloud and went to installation screen with command - R.

I have 256 ssd, and drives were Macintosh HD and under it Macintosh Data.

I first deleted Macintosh Data and then after that Macintosh HD. Then I made a new fresh partition.

Then i went back and chose to install Catalina. Ok, so far so good. After a while the installation had stopped and it said that cant install.

I had to reset and start my computer and at this point i got some kind of screen where it asked my wifi connection to load something. (black screen with a earth moving around). I waited until i got back to the installation screen and WHAT - it had loaded El Capitan and replaced newer OS.

I checked from Apples website that Catalina can be updated from El Capitan so i decided to install El Capitan and then update it up to Catalina.

BUT, also El Capitan installation did not go thru. I got same kind of message that it cant be installed after it had worked a while.

Now i tested to make 2 partitions (note: i have vero old disk system now, but its GUID and right kind of format to install, and trying this way with El Capitan one more time.

What can i do if i cant get this installation done? Im frustrated as it worked well yesterday and this fresh new start ruined it all...

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 12, 2020 3:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2020 8:13 PM

You need to erase the whole physical drive and not just the "Macintosh HD" and "Macintosh HD - Data" volumes. If the physical drive does not appear in the left pane of Disk Utility, then click on "View" and select "Show All Devices". The physical drive should appear as something like "Apple SSD .....".

If you are installing El Capitan or Sierra, then erase the physical drive as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled).

If you are installing High Sierra or later, then erase the physical drive as GUID partition and APFS (top option).

If you want to reinstall Catalina, the see if you can boot into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2020 8:13 PM in response to Timppa77

You need to erase the whole physical drive and not just the "Macintosh HD" and "Macintosh HD - Data" volumes. If the physical drive does not appear in the left pane of Disk Utility, then click on "View" and select "Show All Devices". The physical drive should appear as something like "Apple SSD .....".

If you are installing El Capitan or Sierra, then erase the physical drive as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled).

If you are installing High Sierra or later, then erase the physical drive as GUID partition and APFS (top option).

If you want to reinstall Catalina, the see if you can boot into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R.

Feb 13, 2020 3:43 AM in response to Timppa77

Ok, now one more problem to solve. After installation i had only ABC keyboard showing and as i need scandinavian letters i added from + finnish and swedish pro also. Still, when choose these its like ABC. It reminds Arabic also, as ( is from 9 and ) comes from 0 for example and ” ä ” ja ” ö ” dont work att all, those bring ” ; ”and ” ’ ”.

What can i try to do ? Its crucial to get those working.

Problem with MacBookPro (early 2015) - tried to install fresh but failed and loaded El Capitan and cant even install it anymore???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.