Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drawing/sketching stylus for iPad Air 2

Hello!

I've been sketching on paper for years now, but i always see all the great drawings people make on their tablets so i would like to try my hand on that as well. Of course most of those artists use the new iPad Pro and the Apple Pencil, but unfortunately i don't own either of those. I do own an iPad Air 2 though, and i was wondering what kind of stylus i should get for my artwork. I would also prefer something inexpensive, maybe not above 25-30 euro.

Thank you for your help!

iPad Air 2, iOS 12

Posted on Feb 12, 2020 4:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2020 5:43 AM

Your post is very informative, especially for someone like me who is absolutely clueless when it comes to digital drawing. Thank you for your help and also thank you for the glove recommendation, i'll definitely get one of those.

I've seen several people mention that most stylii don't work well with the iPad Air 2, while they work fine with other iPads, even older ones. I was wondering if anyone had any specific stylus to recommend for the iPad model that i own. I found several inexpensive ones on Amazon and most of them had good ratings as well, but when it comes to the Air 2 they always mention that it's not working well for them. It's weird, because i would expect a cheap stylus from Amazon to not work as well as a more expensive one would, but now it seems like the more expensive ones don't work either.

If anyone has the iPad Air 2 and has found a stylus that's working for them (preferably for art and not note-taking), i would love to know which one it is.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2020 5:43 AM in response to MichelPM

Your post is very informative, especially for someone like me who is absolutely clueless when it comes to digital drawing. Thank you for your help and also thank you for the glove recommendation, i'll definitely get one of those.

I've seen several people mention that most stylii don't work well with the iPad Air 2, while they work fine with other iPads, even older ones. I was wondering if anyone had any specific stylus to recommend for the iPad model that i own. I found several inexpensive ones on Amazon and most of them had good ratings as well, but when it comes to the Air 2 they always mention that it's not working well for them. It's weird, because i would expect a cheap stylus from Amazon to not work as well as a more expensive one would, but now it seems like the more expensive ones don't work either.

If anyone has the iPad Air 2 and has found a stylus that's working for them (preferably for art and not note-taking), i would love to know which one it is.

Feb 12, 2020 5:18 AM in response to littlemiss_tutu

Since you do not want to spend too much money, this rules out any third party smart, Bluetooth stylii.

The only smart Bluetooth stylii I usually recommend has been out of stock everywhere since the beginning of Jan. 2020.

No other stylii will have and pressure sensitivity for drawing light to dark/thick to thin lines and no hand/palm rejection.

The only stylii you can use with your iPad Air 2 is either a cheap, cheap commonplace, purchase anywhere capacitive stylus.

Preferably it is better to use a clear, disc tipped capacitive stylus which is more accurate for drawing and writing.

Another type of stylus is a battery powered, fine point/tipped, so-called “Active” capacitive stylus.

These are finer tipped stylus that use a battery to generate a small electrical signal/pulses to the tablet screen the same way a cheap capacitive stylus transfer your finger elecectrical impulses through the aluminum stylus body to the capacitive tip to the tablet’s screen.

These “active” types of stylii can vary in quality and accuracy in how they write or draw, but do not need any type of Bluetooth connection to work. Again no pressure sensing to light to dark/thin to thick lines and no palm rejection.

Just turn the stylus on and start writing and drawing.

Both types of capacitive stylii can be easily found on Amazon.

So, you can lay your hand on the screen while drawing and create a barrier for your hand’s electrical impulses, you can purchase and use special, non-electrical conducting, lycra-based material drawing glove that works by isolating your hand/palm and allow you to lay your hand/palm on the screen as you draw or write..

Something like this found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Anti-fouling-Drawing-Tablet-Graphic-Right-Ha nd-Left-Hand/dp/B017R8M2JY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1543548123&sr=8-1- spons&k eywords=lycra+drawing+gloves&psc=1

Many more makers of these types of gloves found on Amazon and in different hand sizes, as well!

Best of Luck to You!

Feb 12, 2020 5:48 AM in response to littlemiss_tutu

Any capacitive stylii will work with any iPad, even an iPad Air 2.

The problem is with third party Bluetooth stylii with the iPad Air 2.

Like I stated, the ONLY one smart, Bluetooth stylus I usually recommend that works absolutely great with all non-Apple Pencil iPads and with your iPad Air 2, has been out of stock since after Xmas 2019.

So, I cannot give you this option, currently.

Drawing/sketching stylus for iPad Air 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.