Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does my mac have a virus?

I'm worried that my mac might have malware or a virus on it, but I'm not totally sure.

How do I confirm if there is indeed malware on it? And if so, how do I remove it?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 12, 2020 6:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2020 6:21 AM

The only malware that you can install, "Adware," isn't technically classified as malware, but it essentially is.

Etrecheck or MalwareBytes Anti-Malware for Mac should be able to find and remove Adware.

MBAM started its life as a nice tool designed to just remove Adware, but it has become too overbearing for me to heartily recommend it anymore. However, it may be able to detect things that Etrecheck cannot.

Also, what you think may be malware might just be incompatible software you have installed.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2020 6:21 AM in response to Kab1r

The only malware that you can install, "Adware," isn't technically classified as malware, but it essentially is.

Etrecheck or MalwareBytes Anti-Malware for Mac should be able to find and remove Adware.

MBAM started its life as a nice tool designed to just remove Adware, but it has become too overbearing for me to heartily recommend it anymore. However, it may be able to detect things that Etrecheck cannot.

Also, what you think may be malware might just be incompatible software you have installed.

Does my mac have a virus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.