Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What iPhone will work on a 5G network?

What iPhone will work on a 5Gnetwork?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 12, 2020 7:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2020 7:29 AM

Any of the current models will work on a 5G network, they just won't acheive true 5G speeds (assuming what your carrier calls 5G is really 5G and not just enhanced LTE). 5G networks are fully backwards compatible with 4G/LTE.

7 replies

Feb 13, 2020 10:35 AM in response to Cmlewis65

Are there plans release one soon? I am Active Duty Wounded Warrior in the Army. I was medical evacuated from Kuwait and Iraq. I am currently going through treatment at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. I have an iPhone 6plus that is not holding a charge very well and doesn’t always ring when someone calls. I don’t want to spend the money to replace with another phone that will be obsolete shortly after I buy it. . The other problem is that I am not sure how hunch longer this phone will last.

I am open to any suggestions you may have. Thank you in advance for your time.

Respectfully,

Charles M. Lewis

MAJ MS USA

Feb 13, 2020 10:43 AM in response to Cmlewis65

Your phone won't necessarily be obsolete right away. Existing 4G LTE networks won't be replaced by 5G entirely. 5G is being built on top of the existing 4G network. And the 5G rollout has been much slower than expected. True 5G networks won't be rolled out for a while yet. And existing 4G networks are being upgraded to "5G" networks. While these aren't true 5G signals, they are better speeds from the current 4G. So it might be worth it to get a new phone now.

Feb 13, 2020 10:46 AM in response to Cmlewis65

Currently here are no 5G iPhones (actually, there are hardly any 5G phones at all). There is also not universal coverage - all the major providers have *some* kind of 5G service in a select number of cities only.

Of course, this will change over time as coverage expands, bugs are squashed, and more phones come on the market, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Given Apple's history (and standard disclaimer of past performance does not indicate future blah blah blah), the next iPhone is likely to be announced around September. If the networks are up to scratch by then (I doubt it), there might be a 5G iPhone but no one here can tell you that for sure.

Ultimately, if your phone isn't working for you now, don't wait. There will always be a newer/faster/better/whatever phone just around the corner and waiting for the perfect time is a long hard road. No phone you buy now will be obsolete. Even when 5G is available across the country.

Feb 13, 2020 10:52 AM in response to Cmlewis65

Most any current iPhone will work on what some carrier marketeers are referring to as 5G E, or more fully as 5G Evolution.

You're probably looking for what some marketeers may well eventually be calling 5G+, or maybe 6G or whatever the marketeers decide to toss out next, and there are no iPhone devices available with (actual) 5G / 5G+ / (hype) 6G support.

As for iPhone announcements, the folks at Apple are not known for pre-announcing their products.

So far, the current LTE isn't that far off (actual) 5G, either.

Any current phone will very be soon outdated, that's the way of the world. Both from the same vendor, and from competitive vendors. And I'm not sure I'd even want to be on the earliest parts of the (actual) 5G roll-out, either.

What iPhone will work on a 5G network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.