Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro Late 2013 Unexpectedly Crashes

Hello, I have a Mac Pro (Late 2013) OS: Catalina 10.15.2

It has been unexpectedly crashing once or twice per day, which seem at random times.

I work in Photoshop and Premiere, which is when it usually crashes, but it has also crashed when I've just been writing an email. I have the latest crash report, if that helps.

Usually it freezes for a moment, then restarts and struggles, so I have to power off and on for it to work well.

Appreciate any help.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 12, 2020 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2020 9:09 AM

hi

1. first try updating to 10.15.3 (may just be some sort or bug)
  2. reset the nvram and SMC

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

If none of that works run apple diagnostics

How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

Keep us posted on if this stuff fixes your problem.

Joe

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2020 9:09 AM in response to _LookingForAnswers_

hi

1. first try updating to 10.15.3 (may just be some sort or bug)
  2. reset the nvram and SMC

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

If none of that works run apple diagnostics

How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

Keep us posted on if this stuff fixes your problem.

Joe

Feb 12, 2020 9:13 AM in response to _LookingForAnswers_

Please download and run Etrecheck.

https://etrecheck.com/

It is a diagnostic tool that's very useful to us in finding problems. Also it will give us further specs on your Mac. After it runs post the log file here. It will contain no personal information. Allowing full drive access will improve the quality of the report.

To post the log file click on share report and use the Additional Text icon in your reply window.

Feb 13, 2020 10:35 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks, I pulled up high activity apps like Premiere, After Effects and Photoshop. They're currently running now to see if it'll crash again. In the meantime, it does use a lot of activity, but it is still in the green.

I never actually use all of these at once. Only situation I often do and am not doing right now is exporting a few smaller video clips from Premiere through Media Encoder.

Feb 13, 2020 9:41 AM in response to _LookingForAnswers_

Your Etrecheck report is complaining about excessive Network use as well.

[Running] com.backblaze.bzserv.plist (Backblaze - installed 2019-09-16)

"On the cloud" is great for sharing photos, but is not a viable backup solution for everything you have. The stuff is not under your control, and is subject to sloppy handling, arbitrary changes in policy, theft, data loss, and bankruptcy of the company that holds it. It can easily take three days to restore it at ordinary Internet speeds.

If you do not have a recent backup, your computer is like a ticking Time bomb. You are only one disk failure away from losing EVERYTHING! Drives do not last forever. It is not a question of IF it will fail, only WHEN it will fail.

If you are using another direct-to-disk backup method that you prefer, and you currently have a recent backup, that is great. If not, you should consider using Built-in Time Machine. 

Feb 13, 2020 10:49 AM in response to _LookingForAnswers_

Backblaze is a drag because it is not a Mac Application. The only way it can be sure that files are not getting out of date is to read them, incessantly, punishing your Mac's performance.

Time Machine does not drag your system down because it does not read your files non-stop. Time Machine use a Mac data structure, the File System Event Store, to know quickly what needs to be backed up.

Mac Pro Late 2013 Unexpectedly Crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.