Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail used with Apple Mail no longer has shortcuts to folders

I have always used Gmail with my Apple Mail on iOS. After the updates last fall, I no longer have shortcuts to folders with Gmail, i.e., I could click to move an email in my inbox to a Folder, and often received a prompt to the correct Folder without having to manually look it up.

This has really gotten to be a pain, so I am thinking about downloading the Gmail App and removing Gmail from Apple Mail. Will this mess up my Apple ID, which is my Gmail address? Also, how do I set up an Apple Email address as another email, and does that have to be my Apple ID?

I really thought Apple would correct this problem, but they have not done so. I have been told they do not plan to do so, but why? Lots of iOS users have the same problem. Thank you.

Posted on Feb 12, 2020 9:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2020 9:30 AM

Zingy 1 wrote:
I am thinking about downloading the Gmail App and removing Gmail from Apple Mail. Will this mess up my Apple ID, which is my Gmail address?

The answer is NO. Removing or even adding an email address in the Apple Mail app will have NO EFFECT on your Apple ID information.

Also, how do I set up an Apple Email address as another email, and does that have to be my Apple ID?

You can setup an iCloud email address and it does NOT have to be used as your Apple ID.

I really thought Apple would correct this problem, but they have not done so. I have been told they do not plan to do so, but why?

I do not know the answer to this question. Note that it is not always just Apple making the decisions. In your example, GMAIL has its own mail app and therefore has a say on what can and cannot be allowed on other mail apps related to GMAIL accounts.

Axel F.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2020 9:30 AM in response to Zingy 1

Zingy 1 wrote:
I am thinking about downloading the Gmail App and removing Gmail from Apple Mail. Will this mess up my Apple ID, which is my Gmail address?

The answer is NO. Removing or even adding an email address in the Apple Mail app will have NO EFFECT on your Apple ID information.

Also, how do I set up an Apple Email address as another email, and does that have to be my Apple ID?

You can setup an iCloud email address and it does NOT have to be used as your Apple ID.

I really thought Apple would correct this problem, but they have not done so. I have been told they do not plan to do so, but why?

I do not know the answer to this question. Note that it is not always just Apple making the decisions. In your example, GMAIL has its own mail app and therefore has a say on what can and cannot be allowed on other mail apps related to GMAIL accounts.

Axel F.

Gmail used with Apple Mail no longer has shortcuts to folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.