Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it safe to disconnect external hard drive where macOS was installed?

Hello guys, just kind of helpless when it comes to this. I installed macOS Catalina using my external hard drive as when I was doing it at the time the internal drive was not in the option. Now I’m kind of scared that I have to go again through lengthy process of restoring and installing macOS if I accidentally disconnected my external hard drive from my macbook. Will that be okay? Or what is my alternative? Please help. Thank you

MacBook

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 12:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 1:21 AM

It's hard to understand what your question is. If you are running Catalina from your external drive and you "accidentally" remove it from your MacBook while running, there's a very good chance your will corrupt the install and would have to redo it.

If that's not what you mean, please explain further.

5 replies

Feb 14, 2020 1:56 AM in response to dialabrain

Hi, yes, that's actually what I meant. I'm running catalina from my external drive. It happened because I used the external drive when installing catalina because I couldn't see the macintosh hd or main drive that time (it wasn't in the option). Even when I installed El Capitan it was running from external drive as it did the same thing with catalina, I couldn't find the macintosh hd or main drive. Do you have any suggestion on where would I start? Thanks so much for your time

Feb 14, 2020 2:57 PM in response to dialabrain

Hi there, thank you so much for checking in. Actually, it's half fixed. What I meant is my MacBook is running well with Catalina at the moment. However, I couldn't fix my main issue with macintosh hd. I'm still running macOS catalina from external drive, and I have been reading all the related issues in apple support but still can't fix it. I tried restoring it again and checking the issues in disk utility but macintosh hd seems fine. Although I can't use it as start up disk, that's why when I'm trying to restore macOS, it's only showing my external drive as an option. So, I'm quite stuck with my external drive. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks for your time again.

Is it safe to disconnect external hard drive where macOS was installed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.