Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I daisy chain my Mac mini to my iMac as an external hard drive?

I have a great old Mac mini and wanted to see if I could use it as an additional external storage, however small the storage capacity is. IF NOT: what are my options? (only removing the hard drive and frankensteining a small external storage device?)

Are there any other useful and productive options if I were to connect my Mac mini?

iMac Pro

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 7:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 7:49 AM

Yes, you could connect the mini to the iMac as an external drive using Target Disk mode, but I would think that inconvenient if you shut down your Mac regularly. You'd have to put the mini into target mode each time you reboot.

The other option you mention - removing the mini hd and putting it into an external case - is certainly doable and inexpensive.

Maybe you could use the mini and an large capacity external drive attached to it as a media server at home?

Or reformat it and reinstall a clean OS and pass it on to a someone who could use it??

What model year is the mini?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2020 7:49 AM in response to SkateNcreatE

Yes, you could connect the mini to the iMac as an external drive using Target Disk mode, but I would think that inconvenient if you shut down your Mac regularly. You'd have to put the mini into target mode each time you reboot.

The other option you mention - removing the mini hd and putting it into an external case - is certainly doable and inexpensive.

Maybe you could use the mini and an large capacity external drive attached to it as a media server at home?

Or reformat it and reinstall a clean OS and pass it on to a someone who could use it??

What model year is the mini?

Can I daisy chain my Mac mini to my iMac as an external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.