Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t Add a Debit Card to My Apple Wallet and Terrible Experience at Apple Store

I’ve been using Apple Pay for a while, and I’m a such fan of wireless payment. Recently I have an issue adding my new debit card to Apple wallet. As trying to solve it, I had terrible experience with Apple technical support team either over the phone or in-store.

Since my physical card has lost, Bank of American replaced a new card for me with a new card numbers. Automatically my old one was removed from Apple Pay since I was reporting lost. Once I’ve gotten the new card, activated, and I tried to add the card to my “Wallet”. It reports “Card not Added- contact card issuer for more information”. I went to BOA financial center, the staff doesn’t know about Apple Pay, but he said I could wait for couple days while the database might be updating some information preventing me add to mobile payments.

Few days later, it still fails with the same pop-up windows. I noticed that after I hit “+” at top right of Apple Wallet page, there is an option “Beijing Transit Card” along with “debit/credit” and “Apple Card”. My assumption is my Apple Wallet considers I’m in China market therefore the U.S. bank card doesn’t match the China religion in Wallet.

Then I called Apple Support Team, they led me switch country/regions in settings and App Store both. Even so, the “Beijing Transit Card” is still an option when adding a card. No surprise, it failed again.

What interesting here, before I decided to go Genius Bar, I had tried to add this card to my iPad which logged in with same Apple ID on my iPhone. Surprisingly, no “Beijing Transit Card” option, and it successes! When I got someone can help me in-store. I showed to him the following also as a wrap up for you here:

1, my iPhone with my primary Apple ID - failed

2, my iPad with same Apple ID - works

3, my iPhone with ANOTHER U.S. Apple ID - works

4, my iPhone with my primary Apple ID adding my ANOTHER U.S. bank card - works

5, friend’s iPhone with her Apple ID adding the debit card - works

I have enough evidence to show my debit card works everywhere including my iPhone as long as I login with another Apple ID.

I know this is a uncommon, and complicate issue. Please find someone help me or contact me for more information.

————————

SHARE SOME TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE WITH APPLE SUPPORT TEAM OVER PHONE AND IN-STORE HERE

I was trying to reach technical supporter over phone at first. They helped me switch the country and region to make sure I’m in U.S. market in Apple system. The last second expertise referred me to call Bank of America to check if they have some reason declined my inquiry. Surely I called, and I cannot argue with them because my debit card has good standing to work anywhere and my other devices.

After that, I don’t want to repeat every single time when I connect to a new associate. Therefore I went to Apple Store with appointment made online. I got there 5 mins late, but relatively checked in on time. Then I had been waiting for at least 40 min to get a Genius Bar person to help. He looks like never had this problem before and not confident. He led me to factory rest my phone at the beginning but it didn’t help. Then he ask me if I have another card can test my phone. At that moment, I was able to find another card to do it. He looked like nothing he can do without my secondary card for testing! I had to call my friend to share his card information and borrow for a second. And the result is good! In my point of view, I’ve showed all the evidences that my debit card and bank are fairly good to go, but he still referred me to work with my bank eventually.

God! I walked out the store with nothing solved but erased everything in my phone!!. UNPROFESSIONAL and DISAPPOINTING!

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 9:34 AM

Similar questions

14 replies

Feb 14, 2020 9:43 AM in response to BenjaminPeng

Instead of going to the financial center, did you call BoA? If your Apple ID is set to the same region as your bank then the card should load onto the Wallet app. If Apple support and the Genius Bar eliminated it being an Apple issue then you are frustrated with the wrong group.

Some of what follows does not apply but most of it can be used to troubleshoot.

Issues with Wallet

• If you need to change your default payment in Wallet or have other issues such as the inability to add passes you can go to these links which covers managing Wallet and wallet use.
  • Add and manage passes in Wallet on iPhone - Apple Support, please note that passes cannot be directly added within wallet, except for QR code enabled passes. For everything else, its done either through the associated app, an email, airdrop or a link in a website.
  • How to use Wallet on your iPhone, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support,
  • Manage the cards that you use with Apple Pay - Apple Support
  • If you get an error that you already have the maximum amount of cards in wallet with less than 22 cards signing out of your Apple ID and back in usually resolves this issue.
  • If you are getting a message to contact the card issuer, call the bank or credit card company who issued you the card to make sure there are no restrictions on the card. 
  • If you are getting a message that Apple Pay services are unavailable at this time, sign out of your Apple ID and back in.
  • If you have trouble adding a card to wallet;
  1. Check your Apple ID region to make sure it is correct (Change your Apple ID country or region - Apple Support)
  2. Check the region on your device to ensure it is correct (Settings>general>language & region - set to your region)
  3. A passcode is required to use the Wallet app. 
  4. You need to be in a region that supports Apple Pay - Countries and regions that support Apple Pay - Apple Support
  5. Your bank needs to support Apple Pay - Apple Pay participating banks - Apple Support
  6. Sometimes if you sign out of your Apple ID and back in it resolves the problem.
  7. If none of these suggestions are able to resolve your issue you can go here for further assistance - If you can't add cards to Wallet for Apple Pay - Apple Support

Feb 14, 2020 10:06 AM in response to askbarnabas

Thanks for your time replying.

All I said at first, I called my bank about this issue. What they response is my card is at good standing. They didn’t even see some decline errors in their system. If there is an issue on my card/bank. I wouldn’t able to add this card to any mobile devices. The truth is I am sorely not add this card to MY IPHONE when I login with my Apple ID. If someone else ‘s Apple ID logged in, then my card can be added under that Apple ID on MY IPHONE.

Once again, all the country/regions in my settings and App Store are United States. I’ve checked with Apple Team about my region settings couple times.

Also, I signed out and logged in back forth several times already.

STILL NOT WORKING SO FAR

Feb 14, 2020 12:45 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Agree with you completely. Here I can wrap up all the information we know and tests I have done:

1, my Apple ID was started in U.S.

2, I went back to China and witch back forth. At that period, my BOA card is already in my Wallet.

3, I have another Apple ID which registered with my school email. It’s pure U.S. Apple ID. And it was successful to add my debit card to it’s Wallet

Feb 15, 2020 7:40 AM in response to BenjaminPeng

This would see to indicate that either you can't transfer an Apple ID from China to somewhere else or that something went wrong with the transfer. But, as you have another Apple ID, I'd suggest you use that in the meanwhile. Unfortunately, I suspect only Apple is going to be able to help you.

You could try restoring the phone to factory settings and seeing if that does something.

Can’t Add a Debit Card to My Apple Wallet and Terrible Experience at Apple Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.