Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple airport time machine

prior history is missing. the cause appears to be the result of 10.15.3 Catalina recent software update. I'm now concerned it I can trust that the airport time capsule as for backup storage

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 12:31 PM

Your concerns are well founded.

We have seen any numbers of posts from users who are having difficulty with "missing" Time Machine backups after they have "upgraded" to Catalina. This is not surprising, since Apple formatted the hard drive on your Mac differently when you installed Catalina.....and did not tell you. So, Time Machine backs up differently using Catalina than it does using previous operating systems.....another detail which Apple has not bothered to mention or document.

In my opinion.....your best bet.....if you want to continue using Time Machine......would be to also back up using a popular application like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper......to make sure that you are a current reliable back up of your Mac(s).

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2020 12:31 PM in response to joewardjr

Your concerns are well founded.

We have seen any numbers of posts from users who are having difficulty with "missing" Time Machine backups after they have "upgraded" to Catalina. This is not surprising, since Apple formatted the hard drive on your Mac differently when you installed Catalina.....and did not tell you. So, Time Machine backs up differently using Catalina than it does using previous operating systems.....another detail which Apple has not bothered to mention or document.

In my opinion.....your best bet.....if you want to continue using Time Machine......would be to also back up using a popular application like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper......to make sure that you are a current reliable back up of your Mac(s).

apple airport time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.