Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't backup MacBook Mohave to Silicon Power external hard drive

Help! Still new to MacBook. Trying to backup and move files to a new external hard drive. I have MacOS Mojave. Version 10.14.5 MacBook Pro 13" 2017

The Hard Drive is SP Armor A80. It keeps popping up

"Time Machine could not create a local snapshot to backup from because there was insufficient free space on the source volumes."

I don't know what this means or what to do???

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 4:20 PM

That should be adequate. However, I wouldn't let it drop below 20 GB to keep performance as good a it can be.

Boot into Safe Mode (Use Safe Mode to isoloate issues with your Mac and Playing Safe: what does Safe Mode do?) and try to run a backup from there. When done boot normally and check the TM drive.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2020 4:20 PM in response to jaslines

That should be adequate. However, I wouldn't let it drop below 20 GB to keep performance as good a it can be.

Boot into Safe Mode (Use Safe Mode to isoloate issues with your Mac and Playing Safe: what does Safe Mode do?) and try to run a backup from there. When done boot normally and check the TM drive.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

Feb 16, 2020 10:01 AM in response to jaslines

You can't use a drive that is in use with Time Machine to manually add files to it. Either user it just for Time Machine, or as a data storage drive (it will have to be fully erased for this) or get a second drive for strictly data storage.

FYI:  How to take a screenshot on your Mac 

What I would do is:

1 - get a second EHD, formatted as shown in this screenshot

2 - copy your data files from the current EHD to the new EHD.

3 - erase the TM drive into 1 volume and use it exclusively for Time Machine.

Feb 15, 2020 6:43 PM in response to Old Toad

I purchased this to use as an external drive to store photos. It's capacity is 1TB.

It's formatted Mac OS Extended (case-sensitive, journaled)

Honestly, I have never heard of Time Machine until I plugged this in to my laptop. It came with no information or instructions. When it initially opened, I tried to move photo folders over and I kept getting the same error report. It also kept showing me an error window stating it could not do the backup as I stated in the beginning, even though I did nothing to tell it to do a backup, but that was the other reason I wanted this. My roommate looked at it and discovered it was formatted to PC and he changed the disc utility to format it for Mac. After that it did allow me to start moving photo folders over, and then it did a backup on it's own. Now, since the backup when I try to continue to move photo folders it's back to the same error messages I received in the beginning.

It does not have more than one volume. I've never used an external hard drive and don't know how to set that up and didn't know if i needed to? Sorry, like I said I am new to the MacBook and i just started pursuing photography about a year ago so I'm not well informed on how to store photos other than a photographer telling me to purchase this device and use it for all of my images. And again, I guess I was expecting some information on how to set this up!

I'm attaching some screen shots, and again..THANK YOU for helping! I've not had any luck finding anyone here who can assist.

Feb 15, 2020 3:16 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your response! I did look through that site and didn't find any discussions relating to my issue. There isn't an issue with it backing up my macbook now. I am trying to finish moving my photo files to that device to free up storage and now it won't let me move them. It allowed me to move some folders until after it did the backup. I'll keep digging.

Feb 15, 2020 3:33 PM in response to jaslines

I am trying to finish moving my photo files to that device to free up storage and now it won't let me move them.

I hope you're not trying to move your Photos library to that drive. It can't run from an Time Machine drive. And the files you are copying to the TM drive are in danger of being lost totally if the TM drive fails.

Feb 15, 2020 5:49 PM in response to jaslines

Just so we're all on the same page, and not confusing things with the original OP's problem what are you using the SP Armor A80 for?

What's the capacity?

How is it formatted?

Does it have more than one volume?

Are you using it for Time Machine?

If you are are you storing other files on the drive are they on a different volume than the TM portion?

Can't backup MacBook Mohave to Silicon Power external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.