Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes / "album artist" tag

Hello — I ripped the Stephen Stills box set to my iTunes library — I generally combine albuns that are 2 or more cd’s into one folder / directory — which is over 80 tracks. The track artist comprise all the groups he has been a part of. I use the “album artist” tag to all the tracks are listed under the album title - “carry on”

When sync’ed it to my iPod classic — not all the tacks are listed in the “artist” section for Still – is this because the sofware in the iPod does not use the “album artist” tag? Thanks

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 4:44 AM

See Grouping tracks into albums. As you suspect the iPod classic doesn't process the album artist field. My approach is to use a common artist for each track and put any specific details I want to retain into the song titles. Trying to mash things together with the sort fields doesn't work.

tt2

Similar questions

7 replies

Feb 14, 2020 5:19 PM in response to fpefpe

Are you using iTunes, or Music on your Mac? I have seen many issues with the desktop version of iTunes and the Music app in iOS sorting music differently. However, since Catalina and the desktop Music app, I no longer have this problem, so it may no longer be an issue.

In any case, I would select all the tracks in iTunes/Music, and check out the properties that are set under the "Sorting" tab. Make sure that all the tracks have the same name for any relevant sorting field.

Feb 14, 2020 5:39 PM in response to fpefpe

You won't be able to see the sorting option on your iPod. You will have to do this in iTunes. These are tags, just like the album artist tag you set. Select all the songs, and choose "Get Info." The go to the "Sorting" tab. Make sure the Album Sort As, and Album Artist Sort As are all set with the desired values. Let me know if this makes a difference.

itunes / "album artist" tag

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.