Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Static IP address

I am wondering about setting up a static IP address on my iPhone XS to work with the Echolink app. Can this be done? What are the pros and cons?

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 7:46 PM

8 replies

Feb 17, 2020 10:55 AM in response to SilverShadow4

Hi, SilverShadow4,

Thank you for visiting the Apple Support Communities. I see that you'd like to set a static IP address on your iPhone. I'd be happy to help!

By default, most devices have a dynamic IP address, which is assigned to your device by the network it connects to and changes over time. While this works for most people, there are certain circumstances where you may want a static IP address, which stays the same all the time. For example, this can be beneficial if a website, app, VPN, etc needs to remember your IP address to allow you access.

The pros and cons of a dynamic versus static IP will depend on what your individual needs are, but if you require the use of a specific app that requires a static IP address, you can use the steps in Set advanced network settings in the iOS Setup Assistant - Apple Support to set one up.

Best.

Feb 19, 2020 9:29 PM in response to SilverShadow4

SilverShadow4 wrote:
Courcoul
If my gateway/router is provided by my internet service provider, do I contact them?

SilverShadow4

Do you mean that ...

1) you have a router inside your house that was shipped to you by your service provider?

Or do you mean...

2) you are using a service providers access point, and you do not have physical access to their router/gateway device?

If you mean # 1, then you can connect your mac directly to your internet service provider's router via ethernet, or wifi.

Once you are connected, go to System Preferences> Network > TCP/IP and find the word "Router:" on that page. Next to it will be your routers local ip address.

After you find the ip address of your router, open your internet browser and type the ip address into your browser's web address. This should bring you to the routers setup page where you can adjust it's settings to your liking.

It should look similar to the below picture but the address of your router may be different.

Feb 19, 2020 8:02 AM in response to MoonJ.

MoonJ

Thank you for the response. Not being very technically minded I have more questions?

How do I know what settings to use when creating a static IP address, such as the IP address and subnet mask? I assume the subnet mask and router will be the same as the values for the current dynamic IP address. But do I just use the current IP address for the new static one?

Thanks again for your input.

SilverShadow4

Feb 19, 2020 8:09 AM in response to SilverShadow4

Forcing a static address, especially on a mobile Wi-Fi platform, requires knowledge of how the hotspot is set up. Besides the subnet mask and gateway/router address, the IP used has to be within the range allowed AND outside the list of addresses the hotspot is doling out via DHCP so there will not be a collision when you reconnect later on.

Edit: forgot to mention, you also need to know which DNS server addresses are in use via that hotspot, so the device will be able to resolve network names.

Feb 19, 2020 8:58 PM in response to SilverShadow4

Usually, (and I mean usually), you will find success using the exact same address for your static ip as your routers (or service provider in your case), dynamic address that it automatically assigns to you. Ultimately, there is no difference between a static ip and a dynamic ip (your current ip) aside from the fact that a dynamic ip can change and a static IP stays the same no matter what. By using a static IP, you are just telling your provider (or your router/gateway), what IP address you want assigned to your device.

So to answer your question, yes, you may use your current ip as your static ip. Infact, I recommend it, as it is most likely to work if your provider or router allows static ip's.

Feb 19, 2020 11:51 PM in response to SilverShadow4

Is there really any need for a static address? Unless you are hosting some sort of service for other clients, that requires they can find it at a specific spot, dynamic is more versatile and flexible. Matter of fact, in the example above, the address shown (192.168.x.y) is really a private address that will never appear on the Internet (look up RFC1918 for more info on private addresses): it will be translated into a valid public address by your home gateway as per your ISP’s requirements. A static there is moot and could even fail to translate and gain access outside. In my previous reply I mentioned some requirements cause it can be done but doesn’t mean it must be done.

Where I work we have a full Class B network comprised of over 65,000 public addresses; there a fixed static makes more sense for servers, printers and the like. My Mac works with a public static there, but a dynamic private when I use it at home with the ADSL router from my ISP.

Feb 20, 2020 4:07 PM in response to Courcoul

Thanks again Courcoul and The Hideout Music. I wish I knew more on the technical side. I will try to provide more background.

i am a Ham radio operator and use an app called Echolink on my iPhone XS to connect to Echolink nodes and participate in Ham nets, discussions, with other Hams. Echolink is one of the digital modes available to Hams. Per the Echolink.org website I need to open port forwards on my router to my my iPhone, which I have done. Also, on the portforward.com website they also say for my router, the Technicolor CGM4140COM, I need to create a static IP address, which I have not done, yet. The problem I am experiencing is that randomly, when other Hams are talking, I receive a Timeout error on the Echolink app on my phone, and am disconnected from the conference. I cannot simply exit the conference and reconnect. I must wait for the timeout error to clear and am then automatically reconnected, or so it seems. While disconnected I obviously cannot participate if I am called on. So, since the only thing I have not done is create a static IP address, I am willing to try to see if it solves the problem. I am outside my wheelhouse on this one. Echolink does have a max talk time of I believe 4 minutes but that would occur when I am talking, not when others are talking. Yes, I have contacted the Echolink support and they simply referred me to their FAQs and said any other router or connection problems are not the fault of the app and they cannot help. I am planning to reach out again.

Hope this additional info helps explain why I am pursuing the static IP address.

i really appreciate your assistance.

Static IP address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.