Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I access Mac contents of AppleTV app on my TV?

Mightily confused...

I understand about streaming content from Apple through an AppleTV device, but I have a different requirement.

I have an iMac with films and home movies stored in the AppleTV app.

I plan to buy an AppleTV device and attach it to my 4k TV.

Will I be able to view content stored in the AppleTV app on my iMac on my TV, controlled via the AppleTV device, and using Home Sharing?

If so, will it work when the iMac is awake or sleeping?

(The iMac and TV are on different floors in my home but on the same wifi network.)

Thanks.

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 3:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 8:30 AM

Yes, please refer to the information on Home Sharing. Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

8 replies

Feb 15, 2020 10:49 AM in response to Jagmurcredrea

I leave my Mac on 24/7 and only shut it down 1x2 per month so it's no big deal. I've been using Home Sharing for years now and like you have a good size library of media I'd like to see on my TV. I use by Apple TV to manage it and my 4K TV to view so it's nice. By the way, if you want to move forward ensure your network is up-to-the task too. I have over 30 Wi-Fi devices in the house and the house is about 2400 sq. ft so the network has to handle a lot. I upgraded early last year to a mesh network and that solved all of my networking issues of not having adequate bandwidth to handle all my stuff.

Feb 15, 2020 11:51 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for that, pity, I'd have preferred to have streamed my programmes from a cloud, but hey ho!

Whilst you're there, this is bugging me... some series of videos display in the wrong order in the app on my iMac - episodes

3, 4, 5, 2, 1, 6 in one case. I've done the Get Info thang, individually and as a series, and can see no reason for the incorrect order displaying.

Annoying, as I like a tidy database!

Can I access Mac contents of AppleTV app on my TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.